• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Mommy

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
First let me say that I'm so glad that I found this forum. I don't want to become a nuisance to my friends who really don't care to hear about my bird. I purchased him on 09/28/2015 and I took him to the vet on 10/02/2015 just to make sure he was healthy. He seems to be adjusting well to his new environment, but after reading recommendations, I have ordered another cage (longer) to allow him a little more flight room. I believe he's just too young to be singing. I don't know his exact age, and the vet couldn't guess it. He talks to me if I talk to him, and I believe I heard him "trying" to sing yesterday. Would love to heart your suggestions just to make sure I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA and the world of little birds. I cant quite tell what species Sunny is.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
Thanks everyone. Sunny is a Canary. I'm on "Canary Overload" at this time, but I really want to know what's best for him. The vet was chucking when I told him that I had the food, water, grit, cuttlebone, and toys..lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Sunny is beautiful.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Oh by the way we love to hear about other people's birds and we love pictures so feel free to post a lot of them.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
welcome, Rita & Sunny!
Sunny looks like he will be a very nice companion, he really seems comfortable with you already.
You might enjoy one of AA's member's (mythic55) websites about finches, I know canaries are finches but she breeds another kind of finch.
It's a great website and may give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
Thanks so much for the info. This is exactly what I need. Right now, I've decided to let Sunny "fly free" and it's stressing me out..lol
welcome, Rita & Sunny!
Sunny looks like he will be a very nice companion, he really seems comfortable with you already.
You might enjoy one of AA's member's (mythic55) websites about finches, I know canaries are finches but she breeds another kind of finch.
It's a great website and may give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Matt

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Welcome!! Sunny is too cute!!

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Sunny is a very pretty canary. Is he molting right now? My canaries are molting (northern hemisphere) and my male is not singing. You can play canary songs on Google to encourage him, but they won't sing if they are molting.

You can look at his legs for an idea of his age. Young canaries have very smooth legs, as they get older, they get a little more scaly, especially the males. Their nails also get thicker.

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
Welcome to the forum. Sunny is a very pretty canary. Is he molting right now? My canaries are molting (northern hemisphere) and my male is not singing. You can play canary songs on Google to encourage him, but they won't sing if they are molting.

You can look at his legs for an idea of his age. Young canaries have very smooth legs, as they get older, they get a little more scaly, especially the males. Their nails also get thicker.
All of this is VERY new to me. Based on what I've been reading, he may be molting. I'm just not experienced enough to know for sure, but I think he is. He looks very healthy and his appetite is excellent, but I've been seeing a few feathers drop off, in addition to some other behaviors. Since I just got him, I don't know if these are normal behaviors or "molting" behaviors. Can you please tell me what else I should be looking for? Thanks.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
He is beautiful! I can't say what age they start to sing but mine started at 6 months. Also remember if he is molting he won't sing much if at all. Canaries sing to attract a mate so no mirrors. Mine loves his swing and I put a couple of acrylic toys in for him. Don't forget fruits and vegies and foods with protein like Kale. Good luck and when he does start to sing it will light up your world. Also here in NJ(east coast) depending on the weather mine start molting around the end of June beginning of July. He is finally done and back into singing mode. Be sure he has access to a bowl of water to bathe. Mine actually bathes twice a day during molting. I totally agree with what the other member said about grit. We have learned a lot ove the years and grit could actually get stuck in his crop

Last edited:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congrats! Sunny is gorgeous and looks so happy!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Welcome Sunny and Rita. I have a cock canary who is dark yellowish-brown with a light colored tail. I have never seen another quite like him. He is a champion singer and Sarek is about six years old. He was a present from a friend who also gave me two other cocks and a hen; but I got hold of some greens that were unhealthy and I lost the poor babies and some of my budgies to disease.

Sarek has avoided eating any type of pellets, even the superfine type, so it is very important I give him a variety of fresh foods. He chows down on anything leafy and green, especially Romaine and kale. He likes fruits and I have actually watched him pick the seeds of the outside of strawberries; it is something amazing to watch! One day he wanted to taste what was inside of an in tact grape and he rolled the darn thing around for five minutes until one of the cockatiels shooed him away from it and took a bite out of the side. Then he took this miniscule bite of the pulp in the grape, shook his head like it was "YUCK!" and never tried grapes again. He is such fun to watch and he is the only perching bird I have in my birdroom. He hold his own against Poicephalus parrots, cockatiels, budgies, and lovebirds. He is usually squaring off with the budgies to get his fair share of greens and apples.

Since he is the smallest bird bird in my room, I am careful to make sure he is OK every time I go in to check on everyone. He had his own canary cage, but he decided it wasn't good enough for him and took over my Senegal's three by four by five foot cage and sleeps on her thermoperch every night, hiding behind her polly dolly preening toy. Since Sunny Senegal has lived cage free for the last four years, she doesn't care who is in "her" cage.....

He stopped singing in mid-August and I miss hearing him. He would sit on the handle of my patio doors and just trill his heart out! Once a week I play him some canary song, the best recordings I can get that canary breeders use to help teach their competing canaries how to sing. Beautiful canary song, until Sarek decides he wants to sing again.

RitanSunny

Moving in
Real Name
Rita
Such a warm and wonderful story Laurel Feather Cat. Sunny is still "chirping". I'm guessing that it's due to his age. He is trying to put a few notes together, so I'm anxiously anticipating his first song. I can spend hours just watching him and talking with him. I'm hopeful that he'll bring me as much joy as your Sarek has given you.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am sure Sunny will bring sunlight and song to your life; all you have to do is feed him right, give him songs to listen to and copy and keep him from harm. I look forward to getting two more cocks and two hens this coming spring to keep Sarek company. I prefer to keep my birds in at least pairs so they have someone of the same species to talk with. Luckily for me, I have a canary breeder who lives less than a mile from me.