• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worrying for nothing?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I work in a 10 story building in the middle of town. There are wild turkeys around. Use to be over a dozen, now there is 1. Here's my stupid mind problem. Because of the drought they have turned off the creek that was in front of the building (even though they over water the lawn). So when it dried up I put a bowl of water out, for the turkey and several small birds that were nesting in the palm trees.

Today the threw out my bowl. :extremeanger: I walked to the complex across the street..they do have a stream - even has fish in it. But there is a fence around it, the open space is about 9 inches, so if they didn't fly over they may get stuck.:nervous: I called my BF so see if I was being dumb or if I should put out another bowl (this weekend is supposed to be over 100 again). He told me I was overthinking it, she will figure it out.

What do you think...am I wasting my energy worrying?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Will the building owners put up bird baths? They can get water from them. However someone would need to be responsible on keeping them clean and full of water. I once worked in a 4 store building where birds flew from a near by tree right into the glass doors. I was very frustrated in dealing with the building owners. They could have cared less if the office workers were walking over dead birds. Hope your people there are more caring. Oh is there a place for a hose hook up on the outside of this building?

Last edited:

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I asked security who told me they weren't allowed to feed wildlife. I told him they did before the creek was shut down. Got me nowhere. Maybe the turkey will wander and find the other turkeys that left, I always feel bad she's alone - don't know where they went. Funny they know to use the crosswalk to cross the street - 'bout gives me a heart attack every time I see it.

I assume if needed she could fly over the fence at the other complex? It's one of those that have buildings on the sides with the creek and little bridges running through it - has a 3 to 4 foot tall fence around it though. My property management is useless. :explode:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Water isn't considered food. I know because neighbours at a previous area had called the cops because there was spilled birdseed under our feeders and it was attracting geese. I asked about water and was told that water was okay just not any type of food.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Water isn't considered food. When neighbors had called the cops on me because geese were coming to feed under our bird feeders, I took down the feeder and asked about water. I was told that water was okay cause it wasn't considered food.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I put water bowls out every morning for the wild birds in my neighborhood. When I come home from work, the water is gone. I would put the bowl out again. If they say something, tell them it's not food, just water. You are a caring person to think about the wild birds.