• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving with 5 parakeets 2 cats and a bunny!

VegMommy22

Moving in
We are in the very early stages of planning a move from CA to OR. I've never moved further than across town let alone to another state. Add pets and kids AHHH.

How do we do it? The cats I know would go in a large dog carrier and would sit in the car with us. The bunny would also go in a carrier. We have a massive flight cage for the birds (5 parakeets) it will not fit in our car, it will have to go on the moving truck. All five are extremely bonded to each other. Will they be ok in small pet store parakeet cages? (thinking two girls in one the three boys in another other) It is a 15 hour drive.

Should we try to make the drive in one day with as little stops as possible? Or should we plan a pet friendly hotel stop in the half way point? Or should be fly all 8 pets?

If it makes a difference we know no one in OR so pets and kids will be the last to be moved to the new place.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I've only moved a distance once with a bird and cat. From Bay Area to San Diego. Left at like 10:00 at night so it would be dark and cooler. They did better than I did:) Just had the parakeet in a small cage strapped in the back seat covered except for a 6" gap.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I did a two day drive with two budgies and a cockatiel. We bought two small cages - the ones that would be too small for any bird to actually live in, the ones that are 20$ at any pet store. I put the two budgies in one, the cockatiel in the other. They were able to eat, drink, perch, and play with a few toys while we drove. They could also see me the whole time which I'm sure helped them stay relaxed through the stressful move.

HazelBird029

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Archer
I moved with two keets. We got them a standard parakeet cage and they rode in the back of the car. They had stuff piled on three sides of them so they were safe. It was a 12 hour drive :)