• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppy (Corella)

Raixalotto

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rachel
Hi everyone,
I voluteer at a place that cares for and rescues or takes in unwanted birds (and in some cases rehomes), and I wanted to introduce you to a very special (and incredibly lucky) girl :D
Her name is Poppy and she is an Albino Long Billed Corella. She was rescued by the man who runs our place.
She was in a small wire cage when she was found, with no perch, but gad a few wood and cotton toys (and was a dark garage). At some point in that day sge had gotten 2 of her toes stuck in 1 of the toys and her owners hadnt done anything about it. She'd actually had the cut off by the cotton and was bleeding everywhere!
He took her and got her seen by a vet, yet she still bled for 5 days. He tjought he was going to loose her multiple times. But she healed up well.
She is incredibly friendly and lets just about anyone pet her, and she doesn't bite. Although she has only 3 toes (one is completely missing, the other only at 3/4) and has to have supervision with most toys, as she will rip them to shreds (which is how she got her toes stuck)
And had to be in a smaller cage for a while, while she learned how to perch again.
And some photos :D
20140920_092814.jpg
20140920_092811.jpg
20140920_092808.jpg

Last edited:

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
she is beautiful and I bet she's glad you rescued her

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a pretty bird! And how lucky she was to be rescued.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She so cute!:heart: It's amazing she's so friendly. It's great you were able to rescue her and that you both found each other!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
what a lucky bird, she is lovely and I am sure she will return the love you give her. :swoon:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Pardon my questions but you are new and I am not sure if you want to share a bird you adopted or let us know a too is adoptable. Have you adopted her or are you looking for a home for her? If you are looking for a home for her, then I suggest have a moderator move this thread to Rehome Highway. If not, then congrats on your sweet new addition. She sounds resilient and lucky

Thanks for sharing either way

Last edited:

Raixalotto

Real Name
Rachel
Pardon my questions but you are new and I am not sure if you want to share a bird you adopted or let us know a too is adoptable. Have you adopted her or are you looking for a home for her? If you are looking for a home for her, then I suggest have a moderator move this thread to Rehome Highway. If not, then congrats on your sweet new addition. She sounds resilient and lucky

Thanks for sharing either way
She isn't up for adoption, but I just wanted to share her story. She is incredibly friendly (comes ip fot kisses, cuddles, scritches and pets :) )

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Congrats!!!! She sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is one beautiful and lucky to be found in bird :xflove:

I also love her name :dance4:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm curious: how is she an albino? My slenderbill looks a lot like her and isn't an albino.
image.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she was rescued!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It doesn't show up but she does have red eyes and pink feet and skin... the lighting didn't really help too much
In that case, she's probably more of a lutino. If she were albino, she wouldn't be able to make the red pigment at all. I didn't know a lutino corella existed in aviculture outside of the very rare spontaneous mutation. Although, the feet look like they have a slight grey tint. I wonder what a year on a good diet will do for her. Glad she found a good home. Love the long billed corellas.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It doesn't show up but she does have red eyes and pink feet and skin... the lighting didn't really help too much

How interesting! I love mine dearly, so I hope yours brings you as much joy. Thanks for giving her a soft landing! :)

Raixalotto

Real Name
Rachel
In that case, she's probably more of a lutino. If she were albino, she wouldn't be able to make the red pigment at all. I didn't know a lutino corella existed in aviculture outside of the very rare spontaneous mutation. Although, the feet look like they have a slight grey tint. I wonder what a year on a good diet will do for her. Glad she found a good home. Love the long billed corellas.
Thats intresting. I'd only ever heard of Albinos, it's good to know :)