• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone have a older (2 years plus) Eclectus...feeling a lil down :-(

Nikkesha heath

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cookiesncandles
Hi all as I sit here I have nirvana on my chest with my nose in her honey scented neck feathers feeling so sad for the future :-(
I spent this Afternoon reading through a thread that talks about how there parrots stopped loving them after a certain age and to be honest im distraught .
She is only 4 months old and I was hoping (as long as all is well with her health) that we have a long life together and that I only have to give her,her space for a couple of months while she is hormonal....but it seems that after 10 years they just hate you...its going to hurt so bad when I cant kiss,stroke or let her sleep on my chest....I dont cuddle her because I personally hate being cuddled so i know how it feels lol.
I actually feel like I should put a guard up and stop loving her to prepare for when she hates me,I didn't want to have to do that because my animals really are my best friends im extremely introverted and social phobic and my animals are literally my companions.
Im just wondering if anyone has an older ekkie that they can still hold and love?

Last edited:

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey is 17, and while he can be a pain during breeding season, he still loves me. Treat your bird to be affectionate and spend a lot of time with her -- she won't hate you.

Nikkesha heath

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cookiesncandles
Joey is 17, and while he can be a pain during breeding season, he still loves me. Treat your bird to be affectionate and spend a lot of time with her -- she won't hate you.
Thank you,when you say treat your bird with affection do you think what I do already is enough? I sit with her on my chest and kiss her beak and tell her shes beautiful ect...or is there some other "birdie" type affection like body language ect?

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
'It ain't over till the fat lady sings' Ever heard of that saying? Stop looking for the love to end. Enjoy it every single day and hopefully 10 years down the road you will look back and ask yourself 'what were you thinking'.

I have 3 Macaws, the youngest being 13 years old. Jody is the oldest, 26, and though she does not love the cuddling degree the other two do, she is still a lover.

The other two, especially Kalea, you would not believe the loving/cuddling they want.

Granted, you little birdie might change but why look for trouble? It does not have to happen.

Oh, and just because you don't like to be cuddled doesn't mean they aren't craving it.

Nikkesha heath

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cookiesncandles
'It ain't over till the fat lady sings' Ever heard of that saying? Stop looking for the love to end. Enjoy it every single day and hopefully 10 years down the road you will look back and ask yourself 'what were you thinking'.

I have 3 Macaws, the youngest being 13 years old. Jody is the oldest, 26, and though she does not love the cuddling degree the other two do, she is still a lover.

The other two, especially Kalea, you would not believe the loving/cuddling they want.

Granted, you little birdie might change but why look for trouble? It does not have to happen.

Oh, and just because you don't like to be cuddled doesn't mean they aren't craving it.
Aww thats so lovely to hear your parrots still love you in there adult life,I guess Im just panicking after some of the threads that a read I know ill be heartbroken if I dont still have my birdie as my companion,Ive even said to myself ok when shes at the age she wants to find herself a mate I'll get a male...then I thought hmm what if I turn my back at playtime and they actually breed..so thats out of the question.I guess you are right and ill have to cross that bridge when I get to it amd enjoy every day I get to snuggle with her.
As for the cuddling part I know its kind of my problem I dont like cuddling im not trying to project my feelings onto her its just that I didn't think birds enjoy the feeling of being restricted in a cuddle also I think id squash her if I did try lol...im happy with her just on my chest and kissing her lil (big) beak xx

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Granted, my birds are a lot bigger but I don't go putting my arms around them but rather when they are sitting on top of there built in perches (boobs), they will lay on me and even Donovan has learned to somewhat curl their head up under the chin or on the shoulder, laying one side of their head against my body expecting kisses all the time.

Nikkesha heath

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cookiesncandles
Granted, my birds are a lot bigger but I don't go putting my arms around them but rather when they are sitting on top of there built in perches (boobs), they will lay on me and even Donovan has learned to somewhat curl their head up under the chin or on the shoulder, laying one side of their head against my body expecting kisses all the time.
Haha oh so im not the only one with built in perches? Both the birds prefare to lie on me than my hubby infact all my animals love boobs lol!! When we are they make the perfect hands free perch....thank you so much youve cheered me up xx

spurs21550

Meeting neighbors

I just read this...what a lovely picture :loveit:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The way our birds express their affections towards us can fluctuate. Bottom line is that we must always remain loving, consistent and confident with them. Never take their moods personally. One day they can become butt heads, but then the next day they'll be the most wonderful feathered friend you could have.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
The way our birds express their affections towards us can fluctuate. Bottom line is that we must always remain loving, consistent and confident with them. Never take their moods personally. One day they can become butt heads, but then the next day they'll be the most wonderful feathered friend you could have.
That is so true. @Nikomania

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My 21 year old sweet grey girl would rather be with me than anywhere on earth! Enjoy each day......that's what life is all about!

Nikkesha heath

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cookiesncandles
My 21 year old sweet grey girl would rather be with me than anywhere on earth! Enjoy each day......that's what life is all about!
Definitely,I will enjoy my baby girl and will have to work with her when she becomes mature and allow her to be,I have one other question does anyone know if Eclectus's
But there heads on there back in there feathers to sleep?

Ollie Polly

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Just curious what thread it was that you read as I have never heard of this? Is it referring to ekys or just parrots in general? I can't see how that would be possible but hey you learn something new everyday

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
My friend Karen has a twenty-four year old Ekkie; she can do ANYTHING to that bird. She likes me and will let me stroke her neck, but with anyone else, she tries to flee and find a dark place to nest. With Karen? She would no rather be ANYWHERE in the WORLD other than on Karen. She LOVES her SO much.

Karen raised her from a baby; every bird is different, but plan on giving your bird a little bit of space, but showing her every day that you love her, and I think it'll be fine. My two cents!