• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pigeon Help?

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
A friend of mine works for a Bird Rehab Center has a Pigeon who cannot be released into the wild. I don't know the full details, but she told me he might be a partial wing amputee (confirmed: he will not be able to fly), and his feet might have some issues (she described them as looking burned). If all the stars align I'll be taking him in as a pet - I just need some help regarding the cage. What should I look into? What will he need, as he's not a parrot?

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Birdbabe Might be able to help give you some ideas.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Klomonx
Ah, a cuddly pidge in your future? Will he be caged? Then a long cage, like a rabbit or ferret set up will do. As long as he cant stick his head through the wire. He will need soft padding on the bottom due to his feet, which I would like to see. A regular red brick or flat perch to rest on should be fine.They also like towel nests, just roll a kitchen towel up and make it into a circle,with a washcloth inserted. Mine eats tiel mix, broccoli florets. And small ZuPreem fruitie pellets. Occasional scrambled eggs. Chopped up cuttlebone. A small deep water bowl, maybe a cuddle buddy, like a little stuffed animal. Be prepared for lots of cooing, snuggles and most of poop! They poop alot! Heehee. That's all I can think of right now, but don't hesitate to ask.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@Klomonx
Ah, a cuddly pidge in your future? Will he be caged? Then a long cage, like a rabbit or ferret set up will do. As long as he cant stick his head through the wire. He will need soft padding on the bottom due to his feet, which I would like to see. A regular red brick or flat perch to rest on should be fine.They also like towel nests, just roll a kitchen towel up and make it into a circle,with a washcloth inserted. Mine eats tiel mix, broccoli florets. And small ZuPreem fruitie pellets. Occasional scrambled eggs. Chopped up cuttlebone. A small deep water bowl, maybe a cuddle buddy, like a little stuffed animal. Be prepared for lots of cooing, snuggles and most of poop! They poop alot! Heehee. That's all I can think of right now, but don't hesitate to ask.
What size cage? He wont be able to fly but I assume he'll still need room to walk. I don't have any pics yet, but when I do I'll share!
I'm hearing a lot of difference on diet; currently he's being fed seed and most sites recommend seed (of certain types), but can they live on pellets+fresh food?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't cage mine, the biggest you can afford, at least a 2 by 4 or so....could be smaller if you'll be letting him out to walk around the house. They do need seed, but the pellets and fresh foods are fine too....have you seen my fat marshmallow girl?? :lol:

Last edited:

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Update:
At this time I'm no longer getting the Pigeon. Although we have everything to take care of him, we've decided it's for his best that he go to a woman who rescues pigeons, because he will be surrounded with others of his type, which he'll be used to.
; _ ; Makes me sad, because I was very excited, but it's for his best.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@Birdbabe @SandraK
sad update, my friend just told me he (who was named ryouta) was put down. his foot infection was necrotic, so it was decided it was for the best. I never even got a pic of the little guy, but im still sad.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww, I'm sorry sweetie.:sadhug2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Birdbabe @SandraK
sad update, my friend just told me he (who was named ryouta) was put down. his foot infection was necrotic, so it was decided it was for the best. I never even got a pic of the little guy, but im still sad.
I'm sorry hon, sometimes whatever we do to save someone doesn't turn out well. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: