• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent does this look normal? (parakeet)

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
Ive had this blue parakeet for about 3.5-4 days.

she's been eating this

( 8 in 1 Ultra-Blend Gourmet Harvest Celebration Parakeet Food at PETCO

(Ingredients:White Millet, Canary grass seed, Oat Graots, Wheat, Cantaloupe Seed, Hulled Sunflower Seed, Peanuts, Red Millet, Flax seed, Rapeseed, Corn, Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Dehydrated Bananas, Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Dehydrated Spinach, Dehydrated Cabbage, Dehydrated Alfalfa, Dehydrated Red peppers, Dehydrated Onions, Dehydrated Celery, Dehydrated Green Peppers, Fluid Extract of Orange, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Caseim, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, DL-methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Color Added ( Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow6, Blue 1)

And she has been eating millet ( all living things spray millet )

Her poop has been looking odd, but now im assuming it might be because her fecal (poop part) is melting or saturating her Urine part (clear part) and turning it tinted green.. (Its been about 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit in her cage)
What do you think?

Also I've found a couple hard white circle things in her poop, not all her poop, but a few droppings since I fedher millets too, is anything in the droppings supposed to be hard? And not squashable? I was also thinking maybe she dropped a couple seeds and it landed in her poop but Idk....

Please help and thank you for your input! Much love! ❤

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Think you have a boy budgie, and it looks like he might not be eating enough in some of his droppings and it looks like he could be sick, too. Can you take him to an avian vet?

Sometimes the stress of going from the breeder to a pet store and then into a home can compromise their immune system and they are more susceptible to getting sick.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Actually those smaller harder droppings (the small ones in the first few pictures) are more normal looking for a budgie. Healthy budgie droppings are very compact and rather dry. They're native to a drier climate and are water efficient. Of course droppings are a little more watery if they are stressed, or if they have eaten a lot of moist foods like fruits or veggies. Not all of the droppings do look completely normal but I would be inclined to think your bird is still just stressed.

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
Think you have a boy budgie, and it looks like he might not be eating enough in some of his droppings and it looks like he could be sick, too. Can you take him to an avian vet?

Sometimes the stress of going from the breeder to a pet store and then into a home can compromise their immune system and they are more susceptible to getting sick.

Why do you say she's a boy? The store said she. Was a female but I'm inclined to think they don't really know what they were talking about since they didn't seem knowledgeable about them, and I can take her, but not for a couple weeks... Also, she just started eating more since I got the millet, also in any of the pics does it look like there are any undigested seeds in them? I feel like I may have found like 3 very hard white spheres in the poop but I was inclined to think she may have knocked them out ta her dish into her poo, but I'm nervous.. I also read that with millet since they are so small some birds eat them so fast that they miss cracking open some of the millet seeds and they swallow them whole, and since they swallowed them whole, the shell doesn't let them disgest it...

Last edited:

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
Actually those smaller harder droppings (the small ones in the first few pictures) are more normal looking for a budgie. Healthy budgie droppings are very compact and rather dry. They're native to a drier climate and are water efficient. Of course droppings are a little more watery if they are stressed, or if they have eaten a lot of moist foods like fruits or veggies. Not all of the droppings do look completely normal but I would be inclined to think your bird is still just stressed.

So which ones look unhealthy? The last one looks like a very light green poo, that's the only one I found of that kind, what do you think may have caused that?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's normal for him to be stressed out in a new place, three to four days is nothing in bird time. Just calm down, he will feel your stress, offer the regular food and plenty of water,,,,the diet can be worked on in time. Keep him in a low traffic quiet place in the house, but do talk to him and tell him he's OK! It's normal to be nervous about a new bird. We are here to help, member with parakeet experience will chime in.

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
It's normal for him to be stressed out in a new place, three to four days is nothing in bird time. Just calm down, he will feel your stress, offer the regular food and plenty of water,,,,the diet can be worked on in time. Keep him in a low traffic quiet place in the house, but do talk to him and tell him he's OK! It's normal to be nervous about a new bird. We are here to help, member with parakeet experience will chime in.
Thank you for that, I'm doing everything you recommend, the thing that's making my anxiety shoot through roof because everything I look up says its liver disease or bacteria infection or fungus or this or that or this ahhhhhh. I think I need to meditate.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the cere (nose) is pink, then you have a young male. If the cere is more white in coloration, then a young hen. As the bird matures and ages, the cere will also change and become more clear. Hens *can* have blue on their ceres, but it's typically not the same kind of blue on a male's cere.

If a bird isn't eating enough food, their feces can be black.

I can't tell for sure if there is food in the feces (although I think I may see at least 3 poops that may have seed in them?), but the droppings don't look good to me.

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
If the cere (nose) is pink, then you have a young male. If the cere is more white in coloration, then a young hen. As the bird matures and ages, the cere will also change and become more clear. Hens *can* have blue on their ceres, but it's typically not the same kind of blue on a male's cere.

If a bird isn't eating enough food, their feces can be black.

I can't tell for sure if there is food in the feces (although I think I may see at least 3 poops that may have seed in them?), but the droppings don't look good to me.

Her nose looks like a purpleish blue, more purple then blue tho, like a lavender purple, so do you think shes a male? Still?

Also I read that if they aren't eating enough it could be green? So it could be green or black if they aren't eating enough?

Also I found about 3 total hard white speheres inthe droppings, also what doesn't look good about them? I'm thinking the fecal saturated into the urine and tints it green? Since some of the poops are green

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
Is there anyway I could share this thread to get more people to see it?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Droppings would be green if the bird is eating seeds, possibly different colors if their diet is something else.... i.e. a bird's droppings may be a similar color to pellets, if they are on a pelleted diet, or if they eat a lot of fresh foods, their droppings may be more moist and potentially colorful.... certain foods *can* make the droppings change color.

And yes, still thinking male. Better photos would help, but still leaning towards male.

These links may help....

Poopology - Identify Bird Health Problems through their Droppings

POOPOLOGY: What You Can Learn From “Reading the Paper”

acstiels

Droppings -             International Cockatiel Resource                          Uniting the World!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Congrats on your new lil birdie...is this your first bird? Personally I would take out the millet, its more of a treat and this way you might get a better stool sample. Is the seed brand the same the store was feeding? if not that will play into the change also. As others have suggested just the stress this lil guy has been through he needs time to calm down. My final advise...when in doubt call a vet. Please let us know how the lil one is doing.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I do think the store was right in saying your baby is a female, but it is hard to tell from those photo angles. If you could get one of the front of her face (without scaring her) it would be easier. Blue ceres indicate males in adults, but baby females will often have a sort of chalky, pale blue cere which may be the cause of confusion.

HazelBird029

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Archer
Thinking male :3
When I first got my parakeet, Sprite, his droppings looked just like this. It was due to stress and it stopped after about a week :)

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
From my limited experience of budgies (owned them when I was a kid) and the recent budgie we found.
Those poops look very like the poops the budgie we found had and he was a very sick little boy.

My suggestion, get a crop sample and faecal sample at an avian vet to see if it has an infection and take it from there.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Enjoy your budgie -- they are wonderful companions. Take budgie to the vet for a check up to ease your mind.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
i also what to suggest a avian vet too.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Should I be worried if the poops don't look like this anymore?

Bryan, I read all your posts. :) While I commend you for researching everything.. and I mean everything. :laugh: I think you need to take a breath. :shy:

Our world can be scary, everything seems like it is out to get our birds when they are new. Being a nervous parront is very common and you are not alone. I really think it would ease your mind to bring your little guy into the vet for a well bird checkup. ;) From worms to poop, diet and any breathing troubles you will be able to discuss everything with a vet and have your bird there to show him. Can we help find a vet near you?

I'm all for new members asking a world of questions but I think this would help you calm all your fears and give you the opportunity to enjoy your new little one.

bryan wang

Meeting neighbors
Bryan, I read all your posts. :) While I commend you for researching everything.. and I mean everything. :laugh: I think you need to take a breath. :shy:

Our world can be scary, everything seems like it is out to get our birds when they are new. Being a nervous parront is very common and you are not alone. I really think it would ease your mind to bring your little guy into the vet for a well bird checkup. ;) From worms to poop, diet and any breathing troubles you will be able to discuss everything with a vet and have your bird there to show him. Can we help find a vet near you?

I'm all for new members asking a world of questions but I think this would help you calm all your fears and give you the opportunity to enjoy your new little one.

Yes I know, I'm just sorta in between jobs right now trying to survive until I get this next job, and I've looked up an avian vet with a simple google search and I cannot afford the 80$ for an appointment at the moment, but I would love some input or if you know another avian vet in the area, I reside in the chicagoland area of Illinois, but I'm also nervous about even trying to grab him out of his cage, he's still very scared of me and I don't want to stress him out anymore. So any input would be lovely thank you