• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I hope I saved this one life

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
On my way to work on the 8th of this month, I took a detour on my way there as I had to get gas first. As such, I decided to take the back roads, instead of continuing along the highway. I was almost to work when I saw a little bird in the road. I thought at first the bird might be dead, except the bird was "sitting" upright, not moving.

IMG_20150808_090838.jpg

I pulled over on the side of the road to check on the bird when two other vehicles drove past. I had hoped that neither one would crush the little one on their way by, and thankfully, neither did. I got to the little bird and gently picked him up before a third vehicle passed by. He was definitely stunned, since he didn't react at all, except to readjust his feet to the change of the ground to my hand.

IMG_20150808_102033.jpg

I cradled him in my shirt on the way to work, only a few minutes drive away. He puked a couple of times on the way there. I work at a kennel, so there's several dogs.... and dog supplies! I put the little sparrow inside a crate in our "wash room", on a towel covering a small pet dish (a dish we don't use at all due to it being too small for our dogs). After a bit, I made sure he had food (cat food.... no bird food on site.... the adult sparrows and starlings eat stray bits of dog food when they can!) and water, although I don't think he ate or drank at all.

IMG_20150808_120856.jpg

After a few hours, he appeared to be doing better. Was avoiding me, flying around inside the crate to avoid me and making a few sounds. I had hoped it was enough time to recover, so I took him back to where I found him and released him.

IMG_20150808_121816.jpg

I couldn't save one life, but I was hoping I could save this one.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Thank you so much for doing this. :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that he makes it, but even if he does pass, you saved him from being crushed to death by a car.

Matt

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He was lucky you took a detour, hope he just need a safe place to rest and is happily pouncing around in the trees! Thank you for helping him.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You're a true hero :) saving one that could not save itself! Lets hope this seccond chance does not go waisted!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you Monica! ♥

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue