• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Factor canary molt or sick?

Jesspole

Checking out the neighborhood
My red factor canary is about 3-4 yrs old. He is going through a molt, but for the past month or so he has been losing feathers on his chest area. It started high up on his chest not the bald spot has moved lower to where his brooding patch would be. I can see that feathers are very slowly starting to grow back. Is this normal? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I am not sure, my canaries have thin patches but not that much. Was there a sudden change in the lighting schedule?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a pretty bird!

Jesspole

Checking out the neighborhood
thanks everyone - it seems as though I had a red mite infestation in the cracks and crevices of his cage. I had NO idea. All of the research I did on bald patches on canaries never turned up anything on mites. I thoroughly cleaned his cage in hot soapy water and am getting him plastic perches (as the mites love wood), I also put essential lavender oil in all of the cages crevices to ward off mites - so far so good!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe look into rope perches too. I'm not sure how good just plastic perches are for their feet. Does he have mites on him? If so, he may need to see a vet. I've read that the over the counter mite sprays are bad to use.