• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Update Post #105!!! My heart has broken twice tonight........

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Thank you for the encouragement @Newbie GCC! It's definitely difficult to stay positive right now because the weather sucks and I'm saddened that Sparrow is out there somewhere but more so that Jake is hurting so much and as a Mom I can't do anything but stay strong for him. It's so hard to stay strong when I'm emotionally wrecked myself! :sad11:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I feel for you both. You can do it, mom! Watching our littles learn tough life lessons is one of the hardest part of being parents. Keep the faith and stay positive!

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
I understand the distress you and Jake are going through only all too well. I lost Perky when she flew out an open window. I had neglected to shut the bedroom doors in the apartment to keep the hallway dark (our budgies wouldn't fly down the hall if it was in darkness). I opened the cage, and she got out and got out a bedroom window. My dad and I went outside to search for her, and we could hear her for a bit, but her winds weren't clipped and it was the beginning of March in Toronto. We doubt she lasted the night with the cold temperatures. I was devastated because Pretty Boy #2 had passed away only a few months prior.

I do hope you find Sparrow! Budgies are resilient little birds!

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I understand the distress you and Jake are going through only all too well. I lost Perky when she flew out an open window. I had neglected to shut the bedroom doors in the apartment to keep the hallway dark (our budgies wouldn't fly down the hall if it was in darkness). I opened the cage, and she got out and got out a bedroom window. My dad and I went outside to search for her, and we could hear her for a bit, but her winds weren't clipped and it was the beginning of March in Toronto. We doubt she lasted the night with the cold temperatures. I was devastated because Pretty Boy #2 had passed away only a few months prior.

I do hope you find Sparrow! Budgies are resilient little birds!

Thank you! Today is the first time we haven't heard him since Friday! The weather has not been nice since and was pretty harsh last night with tonights temps dropping even lower :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Please ask Jake to keep calling him as much as possible, weather permitting. Birds go higher for safety and don't always know how to come down. I've had to retrieve a fly-away and it wasn't fun. She came down because I had her OH in a cage and the minute she landed on my hand my thumb clamped on all her toes. you have no idea how much I'm rooting for Jake & Sparrow in my heart. Look in lower places if the weather is colder, Sparrow might have come lower down due to the cold.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i agree with @SandraK, keep looking,please. Do Not Give up.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Jake has been going out close to every hour. I've gone with him a few times but I have an essay and quiz due today so I can't go everytime :(

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The first thing I could think of is to use a company with a crane. And do it when it's raining and dark outside.
Can't you call fire fighters to help you? We can do that in Sweden, I hope you can too. :)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Unfortunately @Eloy I live on a military base and they can't (or won't) do anything :(

on top of that we haven't heard any contact calls all day today.....nothing since last night at dusk

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I am so sorry. I can only imagine the heart wrenching feeling. I keep coming back to check and praying for good news soon

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you can, find a place where you can have window open and play the contact calls from the flock, from sun up to sunset. or place the birds in the room so they can call to him. it might help fingers crossed.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I just got back from looking for Sparrow and yes @SandraK we did look on the ground :( found nothing :) but we also heard nothing! @rocky'smom I do have the flock next to a window and the window only open as much a I dare with all the winds but they have been chatting away so hopefully Sparrow will hear them soon!!! We will go out again before the sun sets here shortly one more time for the evening and then pray harder that Sparrow is safe and sound wherever he may be for the night and that in the AM we will hear him again! Maybe he will be ready to come home by then? He's gotta be hungry and thirsty by now!! Hoping he found so rain water to drink at least ;(

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
HATE to even ask this but......how long can the little guy go without food? Sparrow has officially been gone for over 48 hrs now!! Jake is starting to be afraid to even look for him because he's afraid of what he might find :( with all the predators, bad weather and lack of food/water!!!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I would think when he gets hungry he'll try anything that looks edible, hang in there maybe somebody found him or he's sleeping or being quiet to avoid other critters.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
My heart is sinking at the reality of the situation (crappy weather, strong winds, pouring rain, predators and colder nights) but I still have hope though I see the hope draining from Jake and the fear setting in! I'm hoping that if he doesn't make it back to us that he found another sweet child to love on him.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

sonja

Jogging around the block
Also make reports to any animal shelters and vet's offices in your area.
Good luck to you all.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Still praying and hoping for sparrow safe return