• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Sydney

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm no longer an active member here but I wanted to share some news. I currently have 2 parrotlets who are around 4 years old. I've volunteered at rescues since 2006 and worked with a lot or birds. Cockatoos have always been my favorites but my dad has bird allergies so I could never adopt one myself. I have been volunteering at a parrot in Sacramento for several months. I have fallen for a few birds but nowhere near the intensity of a timid Umbrella cockatoo named Sydney.
Sydney is 10 years old and lost his home after his owner died of cancer and the daughter of the owner could no longer care from him. He's been there a few months. At first if you came near his 24"x24" cage he would run to the back and sway. He came with no toys and was scared of them (he's slowly getting used to them). He was also too scared to leave his cage for the first few weeks. Then would sit on the top of the cage and run back in if anyone came near. He would give kisses sometimes but if you put your hand towards him he would get very scared and run away. I would go up to him and talk to him a lot but didn't really put any special effort in bonding with him.
Then one day, about 2 months after his arrival, I tried again to reach slowly in to pet him. I wasn't expecting him to let me, but he seemed to enjoy me talking to him and started to get excited when he saw me so I thought I'd try. To my surprise he did let me pet him. He then climbed to his door and snuggled against me. The first day he still didn't want to step up but really enjoyed getting scritches. The next time I came to volunteer he stepped up but got scared and wanted back down. Later I sat on the floor and he climbed down the cage and sat on my lap. Then just last week I came for a visit while in the area. Even though there were lots of people there for an open house he stepped up for me and we sat on the couch for a while. He seemed like he was dying for attention. The woman who runs the rescue from her home was almost in tears because Sydney won't even let her touch him and this was the first time he stepped up and snuggled with someone since he came to the rescue. After this I knew I wanted to adopt him. I'm moving out in November and told Bonnie that I want to adopt him when I do. She was so happy for him and for me. Now she calls me his mommy. Last time I went to volunteer I could hear her saying "Sydney, your mommy is here." As she opened the door. And he was so excited to see me he was pacing and saying "hey baby" until I went over to him. :p
I just had to come on here and share this story because it has been an amazing experience to be chosen by such an anxious bird. I miss him so much during the 2 weeks between volunteering and wish I could bring him home now. For now I'm slowly accumulating things for him and saving money for a larger cage and initial vet bills.
Anyways I want to introduce Sydney. <3
Screenshot_2015-08-30-22-26-15.png
Screenshot_2015-08-30-22-25-38.png
Screenshot_2015-08-30-22-26-57.png

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
How sweet,:swoon:Sydney looks gorgeous and I'm glad that she's opened her shell to you,:)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
It's good to see you posting again. It sounds like Sydney has definitely decided you are his. Good luck and congratulations.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thanks guys. Even though I want him home with me now, it's actually a good thing to have so much time to prepare. Now I can get things little by little instead of trying to do it all at once. I already got a few perches, toys, and a food dish. :p

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations, and good luck!

Matt

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congratulations! I'm so glad you and Sydney found each other. Please keep us updated on his progress with you...:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Sydney is very handsome. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats to both of you! I hope to see you posting more!:D

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
What a geeat story to read! And how good of you to not let Sidney go from home to home!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Sydney!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congratulations! I am so glad that Sydney picked you and you will be taking him home.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Thanks everyone. :) I love him so much already.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cloud9: What a heart melting story! I'm glad you found each other and you're taking Sydney home :swoon: Do you know how old he is?

:congrats:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
He's around 10 years old.

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
Such a sweet and heartwarming story! Congrats on your gorgeous 'baby' and I wish you lots of happiness with him!