• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So in love with Storm, my dusky!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Storm had a bath today and her colours are unbelievable! She is such a great bird. So quiet, eats lots of veggies and she does step up for nutriberries and stays on me till she is done. I know it will only get better from here - she is only 6 or 7. Hopefully she lets me scritch her one day like Indigo does. We had a setback when someone (a professional) came and trimmed her nail visibly too short. She was dripping blood and thank goodness my vet friend told me to take her out and stop the bleeding with baking soda. The plan was to cut it only a bit short for DNA sexing which I am waiting on but too much was taken off. The amazing thing is that I trimmed a couple of her nails on my own when she was eating a nutriberry on my hand! Very little and very quickly.

She mostly likes to be in or on her cage. Any advice to get her to like being out? She is getting a bit chubby on nutriberries!

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She is adorable, and I love her colours! ♥

Any advice to get her to like being out?
Just wait, and continue doing what you are doing. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's very pretty!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a pretty lil bird :xflove:

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wow, beautiful colors.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Dusky pionus are a beautiful species.

Matt

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love pionus! I've never seen a dusky in real life, but yours is gorgeous :swoon:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
She's gorgeous! :heart: Yikes, sorry the nail clipping didn't go as planned. Love the way you managed perfectly well yourself with a nutriberry.

She mostly likes to be in or on her cage. Any advice to get her to like being out? She is getting a bit chubby on nutriberries!
Just make sure that plenty of good things happen when she is out. As she gets used to you and her new home you will begin to find plenty of other reinforcers... maybe going to look out of the window with you... or to a playstand full of wonderful toys. Perhaps she might like to watch you prepare food and get little tidbits. Slowly, slowly she will gain other reinforcers. Food is often a great reinforcer to use with a new bird. Watch carefully to see what is reinforcing to her... it might even be you acting silly! :tease:

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! You are all so nice! I am a very silly person (when I am not feeling blah like now) and I will turn that side of me up! Storm just watches and watches! Indigo was having pizza with us and Storm came down for a nutriberry but went right back after a couple minutes. He flaps his wings and points at his cage so I know he is done. He loves watching me cook and is near the kitchen counter. He also ate some veggies out on a stand today which was progress. I need more DIY stands. It is going slooowly but that is how it is! I am planning on seeing Barbara Heidenreich in November at a conference so I will pobably bring Indigo and not Storm unless he is more settled.
PS. He is a boy!!!

Last edited: