• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fostering an African Grey Soon - Already Have an Amazon

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Question... I have an ornery blue-fronted Amazon (sweet and lovable with me) My question is I'm supposed to be getting an African grey to foster, and maybe end up adopting if we connect.

I also have two cockatiels, and I wouldn't trust my amazon around them. With an African Grey being close in size to my boy, do you think they would be able to hang out together? Or does it just depend??????

Any Amazon peeps with successful playing nice together with others? =-)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
totally just depends. There could very well be jealousy. I have two that would kill each other if they got the chance and they are same species. Just prepare for the worst case scenario and see if that is something you can deal with. Separate out times do make things more complicated and take much more time. Even cage cleaning can be scary. I can't clean ones cage without covering the other.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't trust my two blue front amazons on same stand.

For my own sanity, I have more than one playstand. I put Secret on lower ones since the parrot is known to fly down from time to time (the parrot has clipped wings for the safety of the humans)!

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am figuring worse case scenario - But it would be so nice if they could get along. Our crazy birds!!!!!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As you can see my my signature I have greys and Blue fronts. All are friendly by themselves but but do not appreciate the others in their territory except for two of the greys with each other. You must be very careful and not let them to close as accidents can happen fast.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Just depends really on the 2 individuals and the attitude of the grey should your BFA try to start trouble. My BFA is also ornery (species trait perhaps:blink:) and a big bully towards any human or animal that shows fear. Like any bully though, he's a big sissy when stood up to. He was quickly put in his place straight off by my moms big, "flock leader" female DYH and never had ANY issues with her 2 zons any time he visited from that point forward (Lucy was watching him:cautious:). I would never trust him around "passive" birds though, he'd eat them for lunch. I'm positive he would have pushed around my moms other amazon, who is about the most gentle non-aggressive amazon you could meet, had his "mate" (the DYH) not been keeping Kiwi in line the entire time they were hanging out.

I think so long as the grey is an equally strong willed bird to the BFA, you'll probably be ok in the long term. I would obviously be very observant and introduce them from inside their cages from across the room, supervised interactions if they seem ok to let out of their cages at the same time ext... (all the standard protocols for introducing unfamiliar birds to each other). I hope it all works out!

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
How great you are fostering! :highfive: It's also an excellent way to find out if the two birds get along... or not! It's difficult when birds don't get along... as you've probably found out with your Amazon and 'Tiels.

I got Ollie the Orange-winged Amazon to be a friend for Kobe the Blue-headed Pionus. All was ok whilst Ollie was cage-bound but as soon as he discovered freedom a year and a half later, the relationship turned sour with Kobe chasing and attacking Ollie. I think it was Ollie coming into Kobe's territory. Ollie kept trying to be friends so in the end I got Bobbie as a friend for Ollie. The two Amazons kinda get on... they are both fairly gentle birds especially Ollie. Kobe doesn't really like Bobbie either but doesn't chase her as he does Ollie... I think because she stood up to him once or twice, whereas Ollie just flees.

Ollie likes to go into Bobbie's cage and hang out with her, but Bobbie doesn't really like him in there and after they have a short argument she backs down. Still I am aware they could do harm to each other... even though they are similar in size.

Fingers crossed your Amazon does get on with the new Grey! :)

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I must report I will not get to foster him =( The rescue decided not to separate him and his companion; cockatoo. I don't have the time for a cockatoo; hearing they are very needy and need more then like 4 hours that I could spend with them. The gals he's with also are contemplating keeping the two. I believe things work out for a reason! =-)

Becca