• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Good use for fake nails?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great! :) But I wonder if perhaps that plastic can be poison to birds?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Now that is a great use for the artificial nails.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like it was done in a vets office. I'd be very concerned about the fumes. They are very strong.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I was wondering the same. The smell usually goes away fairly quickly, but wondering how they controlled fumes in the process of. But it looks like the pretty galah learned how to use it fairly easy and it matches the pretty pink feathers! Lol

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
The bird would be getting gas and the fumes would not be in that, so the bird is safe at that point I would hope. It would be afterwards, when the bird is not in that mask, would having a fan on be enough? Have to wonder just how they handled it.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I used to do acrylic nails, the smell is quite strong. I would explain it as the same type if smell of superglue. It does go away rather quickly.

I once had to use superglue to close a wound on a bird, very scary and as much as I was worried about the smell I had to save him. I did not think it would kill him but harming his airsacs did cross my mind.

When we had Maui imped, it smelled awful for weeks. I did not expect that nor did the office bring it up as a concern. Epoxy is a strong smell. I kept the air filter running on high 24 hours a day. The vet office showed little concern when I mentioned being upset about it, they did not feel it would cause harm. To them I guess.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I used to do acrylic nails, the smell is quite strong. I would explain it as the same type if smell of superglue. It does go away rather quickly.

I once had to use superglue to close a wound on a bird, very scary and as much as I was worried about the smell I had to save him. I did not think it would kill him but harming his airsacs did cross my mind.

When we had Maui imped, it smelled awful for weeks. I did not expect that nor did the office bring it up as a concern. Epoxy is a strong smell. I kept the air filter running on high 24 hours a day. The vet office showed little concern when I mentioned being upset about it, they did not feel it would cause harm. To them I guess.
On the note of harmful fumes: what about car emissions?? Are they equally harmful to birds?

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
Birds have the problem that it's not just whether the gas is toxic but anything that displaces oxygen can make it hard for them to breathe and can damage lungs. We handle a wider range of oxygen ratios and for longer so it takes us a long time to show health problems in the same situations.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Birds have the problem that it's not just whether the gas is toxic but anything that displaces oxygen can make it hard for them to breathe and can damage lungs. We handle a wider range of oxygen ratios and for longer so it takes us a long time to show health problems in the same situations.
Ah, I see. I live near a highway (it's 10 miles away, but still), so I was SUPER worried that the car emissions would affect a bird if they were to live with me. :)