• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Although this is not a toy I am posting about a dangerous type of perch I bought on Etsy. Luckily I was home when Kobe got his toe nail caught in one of the holes in this perch. I was right there looking at him and he just panicked and was screaming. His toe was caught in this perch so I reached in the cage and helped him. It must have been sore because he favored it for a few days but he is OK now. No swelling noted. I notified the seller on Etsy. Please beware of perches like this:

il_570xN_656637106_d023.jpg

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
One of the Lesser Sulphur Crested Toos lost a toe in one of those. Mine are the calcium one and I still like them but once they need to be replaced I will probably replace them with something else.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Although this is not a toy I am posting about a dangerous type of perch I bought on Etsy. Luckily I was home when Kobe got his toe nail caught in one of the holes in this perch. I was right there looking at him and he just panicked and was screaming. His toe was caught in this perch so I reached in the cage and helped him. It must have been sore because he favored it for a few days but he is OK now. No swelling noted. I notified the seller on Etsy. Please beware of perches like this:

View attachment 203571
I have always heard that about those perches, but people still want them!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I had the cones but got rid of them some time ago. I am taking the ropes attached to her playstand off today, they are all frayed. Would it be safe to put poly rope in its place, she loves what she has now but its kinda scary, this is great info to have, keep em coming.

Dgirard

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Danielle
My peach faced lovebird loves shredable toys like pinatas and things made out of Palm leaves. He instantly gravitates toward them. How do I know if he is eating parts of them? I find a lot of shredded bits on the floor, but could be be eating them without my knowledge? Is it best to not use shredable toys at all? That seems unfair to the birds because they seem to love shredding so much.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have heard Pintas may have staples in them. There are safe bird toys thank goodness. The venders on AA are safe to purchase from.

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota

See this mirror? I have this for my budgie (long story short, I introduced them before I knew they could be bad, and now it's sort of an on and off thing if I'm going to be busy so she has company, since it doesn't cause her to get very aggressive if at all) and for the longest time, it was just fine.
However. As time went on, she chewed at it a little, but that was okay because it wasn't too bad.

One day, she'd been holding one foot on the mirror, totally normal for her to grab something in order to lean closer. Her toenail got stuck under one of the plastic lips (that cover the mirror edges to prevent sharp glass from coming in contact with the bird) and in her panic, she jumped off her perch and was hanging by a single toenail. Luckily, thanks to placement of the mirror being right next to an openable roof, I was able to scoop under her to lift her up and unscrew the mirror (it has a large cap on the back to help fasten it to the bars) and try to weasel her claw out unharmed. Thankfully I had been right there when it happened, so no harm was done, and her nails were trimmed and the mirror removed for a while.

This is a toy I don't think is exactly a huge threat, as long as you're around in case of emergency and their nails are trimmed. Aside from this incident, it has never caused any problems, but this was certainly a scary moment where she was trying to yank her toe out and had been hanging from it. I suggest you use this toy with caution if at all - I never would have expected her to get stuck in it. I always thought the edges were fastened down safely, and they may very well have been for most of it's use - they could have been loosened just enough for her nail to get wedged in thanks to having been chewed on and pulled.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have had a few of this type of mirror and they are made out of glass. If the frame is damaged then it becomes a very dangerous item to be in a bird cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If there is something in the cage that is not just right Kobe seems to catch a toe in it. This time I was sitting in a chair and looked up at the birds and he was swinging and struggling on the top of the boing. I quickly went to him and saw his toe was caught in the hook from which it was suspended. Could not get him unhooked so I took the whole boing out of the cage. Then I managed to unhook his toe. I am so glad I was home. He is not even favoring it so he is ok. those of you with little birds please check your toy hooks to be sure it does not look like this one. I threw it away and checked all of the other hooks and it appears this hook is the only one that has a place for toes to get caught. Notice the little hole on the curve of the hook right side of pic.
dang 001.JPG

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Little birds are at risk with these cheap books.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have been using these plastic clips for years and never had a problem with them untill last Friday nite. Sweetpea my youngest Quaker,got his beak caught on the ends, I had just got home, And heard screaming in the birdroom. I was able to get clip off of Sweetpeas beak. I checked for damage, Thank goodness was just a small mark on his beak( I got there just in time ) We did alot of cuddling that nite, & his beak was sensitive for a few days, so fed him soft foods, which he enjoyed. He is back to his spunky self. I have removed all those clips, & put in the stainless clips that you tighten, for now, but plan to tie up his toys with seagrass, which will be more safer. IMG_1400.JPG

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
I've been back an forth about posting this but i think it will achieve more by saying it so here goes and sorry............

OK so i got excited about the bird diaper because Sweetie goes everywhere with me and i thought it might be a plus

I did as instructed wore the flight suit on myself for a few days, one morning Sweetie got interested so i thought what the heck let her have it, own it and play, i ran to make coffee shouting where are you to know where she was, as she roams, then heard the alarm bell, the stitching had become unstuck and was round around her neck, as it was plastic i couldn't break it, basically strangling her, I remembered i had a lighter for the gas stove and that was the only thing i could find to release the strangle .....

Here is the suit coming apart (after the fact)

upload_2015-11-12_22-31-9.png

This is what it was like around her neck, no way could snap it without making it tighter, i had to use the gas lighter to break it (photo after the fact)

upload_2015-11-12_22-33-11.png

I think they should sew together with cotton instead that can be broken in an emergency rather than plastic thread.

Andrea x

Last edited:

Chihuahua

I have heard Pintas may have staples in them. There are safe bird toys thank goodness. The venders on AA are safe to purchase from.
i have noticed a few not so safe toys from our vendors. toys that include soft rubber or plastic, playing cards, etc. soft rubber can cause a crop impaction and playing cards are coated in toxic lacquer, yet both items are common in bird toy creation and touted as safe

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I have been using these plastic clips for years and never had a problem with them untill last Friday nite. Sweetpea my youngest Quaker,got his beak caught on the ends, I had just got home, And heard screaming in the birdroom. I was able to get clip off of Sweetpeas beak. I checked for damage, Thank goodness was just a small mark on his beak( I got there just in time ) We did alot of cuddling that nite, & his beak was sensitive for a few days, so fed him soft foods, which he enjoyed. He is back to his spunky self. I have removed all those clips, & put in the stainless clips that you tighten, for now, but plan to tie up his toys with seagrass, which will be more safer. View attachment 211975
Those links are the worst!!!!
They scare the crap out of me.
Too many scary stories from them.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
i have noticed a few not so safe toys from our vendors. toys that include soft rubber or plastic, playing cards, etc. soft rubber can cause a crop impaction and playing cards are coated in toxic lacquer, yet both items are common in bird toy creation and touted as safe

They is no bird toy safe for every bird unfortunately. I have a bird that consumes wood and paper. The simplest basic bird toy is extremely hazardous for her. :(

All my flock can have plastic pieces, most of my flock can even have foam pieces. :) It's up to each owner to supervise with new toys to make sure they are using them correctly.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One also should be buying no toys made in China. You run multiple risk. I buy from TNT toys and they are as close to safe as one can get.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Those links are the worst!!!!
They scare the crap out of me.
Too many scary stories from them.
Really?? I've never seen those be dangerous. I've had the metal pear links with the tightening thing go wrong, though. I usually stick an oversized bead on the plastic links so that Sherb can't remove the toy from it. He seems to enjoy doing that. :cautious:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I've been back an forth about posting this but i think it will achieve more by saying it so here goes and sorry............

OK so i got excited about the bird diaper because Sweetie goes everywhere with me and i thought it might be a plus

I did as instructed wore the flight suit on myself for a few days, one morning Sweetie got interested so i thought what the heck let her have it, own it and play, i ran to make coffee shouting where are you to know where she was, as she roams, then heard the alarm bell, the stitching had become unstuck and was round around her neck, as it was plastic i couldn't break it, basically strangling her, I remembered i had a lighter for the gas stove and that was the only thing i could find to release the strangle .....

Here is the suit coming apart (after the fact)

View attachment 211981

This is what it was like around her neck, no way could snap it without making it tighter, i had to use the gas lighter to break it (photo after the fact)

View attachment 211982

I think they should sew together with cotton instead that can be broken in an emergency rather than plastic thread.

Andrea x
Did you contact the folks who make those? :( Very scary!