• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New handicap baby help!

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa

Oh! Cool!!! Can you please tag me in that post (if you remember) when you get around to it?

I hope you heal well and quickly!! I'm looking at surgery on my wrist later this year for sever carple tunnel which is gonna really such because I see and crochet for fun and business plus I take classes on line and the best part is I'm right handed so of course that's the hand needing surgery:(

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I
Oh! Cool!!! Can you please tag me in that post (if you remember) when you get around to it?

I hope you heal well and quickly!! I'm looking at surgery on my wrist later this year for sever carple tunnel which is gonna really such because I see and crochet for fun and business plus I take classes on line and the best part is I'm right handed so of course that's the hand needing surgery:(
I hope your surgery goes well. I will tag you @Beanurita and @JosienBB when I get the instructions done. :roflmao:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I've noticed most birds do well with adapting to foot injuries. My parrotlet, Ollie (although this was a lot less drastic) decided to be adventurous and took on one of the lovebirds I had been fostering. Needless to say it didn't end well, and my boy's toe got severed almost completely off. When it healed, the tip of his toe/nail was lost, but he still gets around a lot. My ex's bird ducky also has special needs feet. We had bought him knowing this, and keep him flighted. But he runs like a bat out of hell he does!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for all the responses. Polly is really feeling at home. I've tweaked her cage, and found some favorite foods. Her favorite thing is just to ride around in my robe hood. She's definitely found a place in my heart! Here's some pics of our other fids. 2 capes Perry and Ollie, and the hy Rio. Not named after the movie he's 19.

Attachments

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
I'm so glad you've fallen for her. Parrotlets are such fun! And your other fids are absolutely stunning! *u*

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Gorgeous flock you have there!!! P'lets have a way of sneaking into your heart!!!

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
They sure do, for being so little they have big personalities......I know I don't have to tell you guys that, I'm just still amazed by her. We got her for my daughter, but she is always looking for me. She even calls back to me when I call her. I guess I just expected her to do her own thing, and be with my daughter when she was around.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
That's cute she lies the hood of your robethey are little with huge personalities & she is already training you

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I adopted a Pionus with a foot that wouldn't function -- it was caught up in some wire when she was a baby. She never seemed bothered, and was very active in her cage. It took a while for us to bond, but I couldn't ask for a sweeter bird.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Polly is so sweet and look at that yummy breakfast!!!

Pretty.rah

Moving in
Real Name
Rach
She may be a cobalt. You can just refer to her as a blue parrotlet. I love parrotlets for their size and small voices. I've had many and just have one now. It sometimes annoys me when people price to sell them base on their colors. Anyways, I'm shocked the store had a small enough cage that got her feet stuck!!!! I had a baby parrotlet that got his leg stuck for a few hours in a little plastic ball with the bell inside and I had to hold him and take sharp sissores to break the ball from hurting him. It was a big scare but never will I buy those ball toys again

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a budgie recovered from heavy metal poisoning, but left with disabled feet. Here's a picture of his platform perch. It's covered with soft fur, the same that many sleepy huts are made from.

Edit: Sorry, can't seem to figure out how to upload a photo directly from my iphone's photo album. It's just a basic platform perch that I covered with soft fury material.

Last edited:

Perryberry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It seems like these guys are prone to accidents due to their size. Fleece has really become useful, I've used it really on everything. I've also used a lot of vet wrap on the slippery serfaces. She seems to really be adapting well. Her larger cage is suppose to be coming today, can't wait to see what she thinks. I also got her a gym for on top of her cage, and she enjoys hanging out there. She hasn't really started to play with toys yet, but I think that will come. She's still only 4 months, and she also had her surgery set back. Do parrotlets usually play/chew toys a lot?

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
She's beautiful.! That's all I know :)
You're soooooooo kind to have brought her home.
:loveit: