• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you use a special stand to train your bird?

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I watched one of Barbara's videos, and noticed that she has a stand that seems particularly suited to training.

I'm thinking of making one for Mango. Since she's a bit shy, I will starting from square one.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes I made a stand for Tyrion to sit on my coffee table so I can clicker /target train him :cool:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bird Toys Etc. sells a very nice training stand: TRAINING STAND - Bird Toys Etc . His stands are very well made, and you can see pictures of Lear's and Spix's macaws using his gyms.

Matt

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No. I used several things/stands for trick training and a table is the best IMO.
So all stands/places in my house is for trick training not just one. :)

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I made a tabletop training stand out of a shoebox and a flexible rope perch. Sometimes I use that. Other times they are standing on my keyboard and I am choosing to sacrifice it for more seed hulls under the keys and just train them in front of me while I'm sitting here.:)

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Nah. Kiwi won't follow a training program and mocks the use of clickers, chopsticks and little treats to entice him do things he doesn't want to. I got an ornery 'specimen' of a parrot though:blink:. When he's in the mood to "learn", I plop him down on the coffee table, dining table, couch, bed or wherever's most convenient. He would oppose the monotony of a single learning spot, I think. I also (coming from a bird owner, not a professional bird trainer) feel training on one perch in one spot would make reinforcing positive or desirable behaviors/actions the bird may do elsewhere more difficult. The bird may not understand the reinforcement outside the context of what it knows to be "training time in the training spot".

If your bird is receptive to following an actual training program though, I would do as the trainer recommends to start with and branch out as you and your bird bond and get to know each other better. If the trainer recommends a specific stand, then I would find a stand specifically for training. It'll make life a whole lot easier for you to be able to follow along with an expert instead of (no pun intended) winging it to begin with.

Last edited:

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Well, I'm not planning on using a clicker or a stick for training, but I will use a special word to mark behaviors. :)
I've decided that my word is going to be "Yay!" since it's to a word we don't commonly use around the house. Little Mango is shy, so I think having a specific place to go to will reinforce the idea that good things are going to happen. Treats! Treats! Treats!