• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Houdini

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
Hi - so now my rescue lovie, Houdini, has been settled in his new, huge flight cage and I'm ready to start the taming process...

I'm having some issues finding a treat that will entice him. He apparently has never had exposure to toys at all and has no clue what millet is. He doesn't know how to play :( and even if a leave a spray of millet in the cage, he has no idea that it's food.

Any ideas?

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Mine go crazy for Nutriberries you could try that? I buy the big yellow tub with the Cockateil on the front. There's also Avicakes? I'm shocked he doesn't go for the millet!

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
I am too! He's a rescue - he was found inside a dog's mouth (long story), so I don't know how old he is or how long he was out in the world by himself. He was very dehydrated and in shock when he was found. He eats well, drinks well, sleeps a lot because I think he still may be healing from his ordeal. But he only taps at a bell on a toy once in a while and climbs around his cage to see if there are any escape possibilities.

He does chirp in answer to my other birds and he seems to like music. He's not lethargic or anything; the vet says he's amazingly quite healthy for a bird that had such a scary adventure.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
When I first got Jellybean she escaped from her cage numerous times, I had to have the vet clip her wings. She too spent much of her days looking for escape routes, thankfully she doesn't do this anymore!

Sounds like the poor little thing had a rough start in life, I'm glad you were able to save him and give him a good home :)

@fluffypoptarts is our resident lovebird whisperer so she would have better advice for you than I :D

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
Well, if you read the whole story (here) you can see what Houdini has been through. He's a resilient little guy, and I want him to have the best forever home I can give him!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think even without knowing his entire background, you know enough to see why Houdi would be so cautious. Poor little thing has been through so much trauma, and that even without knowing what human experiences he may have had. Regardless, it's probably going to take him many months to start to trust you and open up to you. He really does sound like Neut. She doesn't care about millet or other treats either, and not much in this world is enticing to her (other than a warm cupped hand to snuggle down into).

Have you tried any sort of approach to see what your reception is? How close he'll allow you? Etc? How does he react when you reach into the cage to do things?

Have you tried shutting yourself into the room with him and doing something else while leaving his door open? One thing all lovies seem to share is curiosity, and often they seem inclined to come out if the cage door is left open long enough.

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
Poor little guy is pretty much afraid of everything right now, not that I blame him. I speak very softly and he does like it if I sing.

I would open the door, but the couple of times he has gotten out was a panicked flutter and he ran under the sofa (his wings were clipped before I got him and he's not dealing well with that) and I don't want to scare him further or damage our precarious beginnings by having to net or towel him. I'd much rather base it on slowly developed trust. One day at a time.

It took my budgie Edda nearly six months to eat something out of my hand, and another three to step up. She's now usually glued to my neck or grooming my eyebrows.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Olive doesn't go crazy for millet either. It may take awhile to learn what Houdi's likes and dislikes are. Olive lives Almonds.

I think you should be more patient and just let him settle in before you start training him. Let him be the one to set the pace. If you rush you may lose any trust that you have built with him so far.

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
Patience is something I have boatloads of... this little guy is won't be rushed into anything. When he wants to make friends, we'll make friends. In the meantime all I can do is show him how safe he is and make sure he's healthy and fed and give him love.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Kellie728. Little Houdi sounds way too frightened to try anything further with right now. That was why I asked - because the bird will let you know by their behavior/reaction what they are ready for and what they're not. I think you're doing very well with reading Houdi and picking up on what he needs. For now just keep singing and talking to him. :)

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
I have a wifi security camera system at my house, so I took 3 of the cameras and set them up so i can watch the birds during the day. Today I caught Houdi investigating his cage and playing with a shredding toy :). He was cheeping to himself and fluttering back and forth between perches and sticking his head in his little snug house.

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
So last night around 9PM, I was getting ready to cover Houdi for the night and went to change out his water dish... the second I opened the cage door, he made a beeline and escaped into the living room. I turned all the lights low and he ended up behind the entertainment unit (not a light piece of furniture, believe me). I carefully scooted it out from the wall and gently captured the little escapee.

His wing clip from the pet store was very light because he could still fly fairly well, just slower and he got tired easier. I held him in my hand for a minute until he stopped squirming and talked to him in a very soft voice before I put him back home.

I gotta watch this one.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
My male lovebird is exactly the same way. If he sees any means of escape he will take it! They are very quick! Sometimes I'm amazed how quickly he can go from a perch to sprinting under the door. :wideyed:

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
Houdi is still VERY skittish and retreats to the opposite side of the cage when I have to reach inside for food, water or cleaning. I always move very slowly and talk to him the whole time, but he is still very afraid of everything. He has started playing with a bell toy and is very vocal in the mornings with the other birds.

I'm beginning to think perhaps he's very young and may have been an escapee of a backyard breeder, as he has no leg band or chip. I'm taking it very slow and easy, we have all the time in the world to work with him. I'm not rushing him.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It will probably take Houdi many months. It took a long time for me to be able to reach in and just pet Neut. She used to get anxious. Now she keeps an eye on me, but is not alarmed, and will stay close to the front of the cage when I walk up.

It will be longer for Houdi if he has never really had a lot of exposure to being handled by humans, especially if it didn't feel safe or comforting to him.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love your Houdini stories :)

Keep up being patient :) you're doing great!

Julie O

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie O
I'm committed to giving Houdi the best and happiest life possible.

I am concerned about his lack of interest or knowledge of toys. He spends a lot of time sitting quietly, watching the room around him. He's not lethargic and he doesn't look distressed, just not hoppy and active like other lovebirds. Do they need to be taught what toys are? It is because he's still a juvenile? Or is it because he's still so fearful?