• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black Palm Syndrome

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just learned about this from a member here and was doing some reading about how difficult it is to raise healthy baby black palm cockatoos. Given the following information I have a question for palm people.
Does this syndrome exist in the wild or is it only with the domestic birds?

The most difficult of the psittacine birds to breed, black palms lay one egg per clutch. The babies hatch easily, but chick mortality is high. They often die around 1 year old, just as they finish weaning. These deaths are often labeled “black palm syndrome.” The chicks appear healthy but suddenly show signs of illness. Results from diagnostic tests and necropsies come back inconclusive — illness unknown. Black palm syndrome also occurs in weaned juveniles and adults.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It sounds like a key nutrient deficiency. Perhaps one supplied from the parent's crop but not in the diet that they are given upon weaning?

Do you know what are the symptoms?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
a high percentage of them have PDD/carry ABV, from what I understand. I wonder if that could be the cause.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I agree with Angel. I think that this is just a bird that we don't have a whole lot of info on because there aren't as many being bred in captivity. They are harder to breed because they take longer to wean out and they also have specific dietary needs that we are learning more about as we get better with breeding them. I did hear something very interesting the other day that I thought was totally fascinating. Katy McElroy has had a lot of success with her Palm babies because she lets her chicken do the incubating! Fascinating stuff!:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh my that is interesting. @Zeus

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I did hear something very interesting the other day that I thought was totally fascinating. Katy McElroy has had a lot of success with her Palm babies because she lets her chicken do the incubating! Fascinating stuff!:)
Wow! That's fascinating info indeed...:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For the egg that is hatched under a chicken who feeds that chick? Does it go back to the natural parent for the nutrition or is it hand fed by a human?

Zeus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Angel Miranda
Very interesting. That's sure is different.
Katie has been breeding Black Palm's successfully for a long time and has received many awards. And that PDD rumor is about as old and tired as it gets. These 2 are 19 and 23 male and female View attachment 207721 View attachment 207722 View attachment 207724

Zeus will be 13 this year on November 9. :birthday:
I spoke with Katy about 2 hours ago. They really don't do the chicken thing anymore. They came up with a different more solid formula which include ground up nuts & stuff. As always though, I asked if she had any babies & she said no. These birds don't have babies every year.

This is Zeus & Mr. Major with a friend of mine.

Last edited:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I know the Drs that Katy's palms belong to
They live here in mich
They have a lot to do with the success of the breeding also
They are wonderful men and great Drs
They have their own research center for PDD and to help with problems to do with feather picking