• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does gender matter for possible roommate?

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would like to get a friend for Foley. The tiels have each other and he is odd man out. I am wondering what others opinions are on whether to get a female or male budgie companion for him. Does it matter? Do two males generally get along? Are parrots happier with a bird of the opposite sex?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think with any new bird there's a chance that they won't like each other or like sharing space. Budgies seem pretty easy going to me though but I don't actually have budgies.

@Beanurita ? @MyAussieFriends ?

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
Foley would love a friend I'm sure as budgies are happiest with a budgie friend!! I find that my male always get along of course with a few tiny squabbles here and there. Our female lives with my 3 boys and she is definitely the boss of ALL of them.......don't get me wronge, she is sweet and loving and a flirt with whoever she chooses but it's on her terms and the boys don't have a choice about it! With Foley being a boy you can get a male or female. With the proper and slow introductions you can achieve an happy home. Keep in mind with a male Foley will haves a BFF for life but consider with a female they may mate in the future and if determined enough as budgies are they may nest and give you a family even if they use their food bowl! I know someone that happens too and the parents raise 4 chicks in the food dish until they had to move the babies to a makeshift box on the bottom of the cage next to the bowl because they grew so fast and the bowl was simply too small babies and mama! So the risks are: male/male BFFs or Male/female BFFs and possible mating. As with both there is a risk that they simply don't like each other at all but with proper and slow introductions over time you shouldn't even have a problem with that!!

Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do!!!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Budgies typically do best in groups. In my experience, the generally take to new flock mates very readily.

Go for male. Females are very sassy and like to be bossy. Also, with a male/female combo there is a risk of the hen becoming egg bound - which is not something you want.

Boys get along great.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I would rather opt for a boy so I would not have more possible eggs to worry about. I have enough worry with the tiels. Watching them as a pair, though, and how they are so bonded as mates is what made me wonder about whether Foley would be happier with an actual mate or just a friend. I'm always concerned about making sure I provide the most supremely happy life I can for them. Who owns who?:xflove:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Would you rather have a mate or just a friend?
I've been married for 15 years. There are days when that answer is unclear.;)(Kidding dear, if you ever read this)

Now I'm undecided again. I'm not familiar with the behavior of a female budgie. I know I'm speaking in generalizations and all birds differ, but I keep reading about how fussy they are. What behaviors do they exhibit that would classify them as fussy? I don't want to get him a potential mate if she is likely to just pick on him. An occasional squabble is fine, but constant torture wouldn't be what I would consider a happy home.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Budgies, like cockatiels, live in large flocks in the wild. They therefore do well in group living situations and it does not actually matter if their same species friend is same or opposite sex. Do not, however, think you can just put another budgies into the existing budgie's cage right away and think they will get along; especially of they are same sex. The established bird sees the cage as their territory, the food bowls, their food, etc. It will probably resent a new bird taking up space and eating their food. So bring the new bird in with their own cage and cage setup. Let them get to know one another and let them decide when they want to cohabit a cage. Even then, it is best if you buy a larger cage and put both of them into the new cage so there are no territorial issues to fight about.

CStone, I think the above information about territoriality pertains to your situation as well. Separate cages at first. Then the cock will start wanting to spend time in the hen's cage. Once she is fine with him visiting, even with the door closed, then you can get rid of the second cage. With tiels and budgies, it is usually the hen's cage that becomes the cohabitation, not the cock's. Yes, the hens tend to squabble with the cocks, but usually not to the point of physical fighting. Now and then, a cock can get impatient with a hen not allowing mating; but, again, the cock usually does not get physical about it. Tiel cocks can and sometimes do physically punish an uncooperative hen, but it does not usually go far.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I've been married for 15 years. There are days when that answer is unclear.;)(Kidding dear, if you ever read this)

Now I'm undecided again. I'm not familiar with the behavior of a female budgie. I know I'm speaking in generalizations and all birds differ, but I keep reading about how fussy they are. What behaviors do they exhibit that would classify them as fussy? I don't want to get him a potential mate if she is likely to just pick on him. An occasional squabble is fine, but constant torture wouldn't be what I would consider a happy home.

My girl likes to be the first in the bath bowl and will chase the boys away should she want a bite to eat. Girls are just bossy IMO. On the other hand she is also sweet and loves to preen her favorite boy at that moment (she goes between 2 of my boys)! The youngest boy is her little brother from same parents different clutch so at this point she has the big sister attitude with him. I'm sure that will change in time as little Sparrow is not of breeding age yet.

Male/female combos are just as rewarding as a male/male combo with the only difference of possible mating/egg binding. Does the budgie care what gender their new friend is? I don't think so as they are just happy to have a friend who speaks their own language!!

Whether you choose a male or female, just make the introductions slowly (and based on your watch of them) Let them live in cages placed next to each other so they can chat getting to know each other. Have the food bowls in each separate cage place on the side they share so they can eat together. Put a perch close in each cage as well so they can sit close if they want. Does Foley come out to play at all? Sit with Foley next to the new one so they can see each other and if Foley wants for go to the other ones house, let him and watch closely....then when Foley is in his house DoD the same with the new one as you also need to be bonding. In time let them out together. After much interaction and watching on your part they letting them share a cage........once you decide that they are read to live together it's recommended to change everything in the cage so that it looks different an that way they are BOTH moving into a "new" home and onto one has more rights to anything.......this takes away any territorial issue that may already exist because it's a favorite perch/toy or whatever. Don't be startled if you see them rapidly bumping their beaks and chatting up a storm.....that is just how budgies greet each other though if you've never seem it it can look like bickering but it's not. Beak bumping is just a social behaviour!

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Wild budgies live in large flocks, in areas where nest sites are limited and breeding is limited to times when the conditions are favorable, which can be unpredictable. Females are dominant, and they do most of the work of preparing the nest cavity, so they have stronger beaks as well. They can be aggressive and territorial with other females, especially when breeding; mostly just bossy to males though. Males just seem to be happy, easy going birds.
I'd probably just go with another male since you dont want to breed anyway; but on the other hand, there are probably more females in need of homes, too.