• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When does the morning squawks stop?

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Oliver is now almost 6 months, and I'm still struggling to wean him.
I stopped the spoon feeding a while ago but he refuses to get rid of the formula all together.
I use to have to give him a bowl of formula every morning and he would only take one or two bites before turning into his solid food (fruit veg sprout), but would nonetheless go through the rest throughout the day and when I would come back at night, sure enough he would squawk very loudly when his bowl would be empty and I would have to give him another one.
Recently I'm trying very hard to stop his addiction so I try not to give him one in the morning, and he would generally be calm in the morning if he still has some rest from the night before, so he wouldn't squawks. During the day he wouldn't have any other choice but to turn only to his solid food. By the night generally he is squawking like crazy and I will have to give him some, but I now mix it with mash pumpkin or sweet potato to be able to progressively reduce the amount of formula.
His squawks are sooooo loud, it's like having an angry T-Rex in a cage and it's blood curling. I've worked in a eclectus sanctuary by the past and I can't remember a single squawk there, even though there was baby of every age.
I'm desperate to finally wean him completely but it looks like he would keep on squawking for food anyway. Any advice or similar story?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know, only want to give you hugs for being strong. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I only have experience with weaning cockatiels. I have no idea the average time it takes for a n eclectus to wean. I do know the last feeding to be weaned is t bedtime one. My vet called it the reassurance feeding.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
We have a cockatiel here and we weaned her without trouble at all. 6 months is too old for an eclectus, it should be done since 4 months to 5 months. It's just the squawks that seriously start becoming too much...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not up to you to decide when weaning is done. That is called "force weaning". Give this a read to help enlighten you.

Abundance Weaning and Fledging.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I don't really understand. Are you feeding him bird formula in a bowl in his cage?

Good luck.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is my thought on your issue. Take him to the vet for a crop culture and blood work. He may have developed a yeast or bacterial infection. These can make babies uncomfortable and also cause them to vocalize for warm foods which are comforting for them.
***Leaving wet foods in the cage for anymore then 1-2 hours can promote bacterial growth***
I recommend a vet check, offering a small amount of heedfeeding formula that YOU feed him in the morning and again at night. He draws comfort from you feeding him right now. :)

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I second Greycloud's ideas--the vet check is a great idea. Also, you want to keep feeding them things with either spoons or syringes (even past formula) occasionally because if your birdy ever gets sick, it'll be WAY easier to give him medicine.

We weaned Leelu ourselves, and it was a fairly painless process. This is what we did:

1. Feed him from a spoon again--it'll strengthen your bond and let your baby know you still care, an important part of his emotional development.

2. After he gets used to you feeding him with a spoon, flavor oatmeal or veggie mash with his formula; start by spoonfeeding him this mixture so it's super comfortable tasting. Then, after he's filled up, offer him his formula either in his bottle or the bowl. Your choice--the goal is to fill him up BEFORE you offer formula so he wants it less and less (other stuff tastes better).

3. Start giving him more variety from the spoon; have him taste all kinds of things. Eventually, the goal is to get him to eat whatever you offer from the spoon (mash, veggies, fruit, etc.) so he feels comforted while trying new things. AFTER you've offered him lots of different foods from a spoon, again offer him his bottle. Eventually, he'll be more interested in the new foods and textures. He is a baby after all!

HE has to be the one to say "no" to the feedings--he is crying for a reason, either illness or he needs comfort or he's hungry. The vet can check for the illness part--the comfort and hunger part can come from you. =)

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
Thanks to all for your reply,
I've already done the vet check and he is all good so no problem there.
I've stopped the spoon feeding because HE refuses the spoon. He acts on every level as if he is weaned, except that if there's no formula in his cage, he goes back to squawking. When I gave him some, he literally just takes one or two bites before moving on.
I will try your process and try to go back on spoon feeding him other things and we shall see.

Vulpeste

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caroline
So I just tried to go back on spoon feeding without success, he is for some reason now scared of the spoon and fly away each time, to perch somewhere else and squawk again.
He will do that until I give up and move on and then only he moves to his bowl and feed himself. I put only a tiny bit of formula and mash carrot, peas, raspberry this morning.
Also I never tried to force weaned him, on the opposite, I read here when he was little about force weaning and so I've only kept on giving him formula until now thinking he will stop by himself, but another month has passed and another 1kg bag of formula with it. And I've read from people on the eclectus chat yahoo group that he was too old now not to be weaned;
there's a lot of contradiction in opinions all around and I'm trying to do right by my bird but it's confusing.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your bird will wean when he is ready physically and emotionally. It sounds to me as if he is not ready emotionally.

As far as Valantino getting hand feedings - that is a positive. If he is ever sick and needs meds or hand feedings you have one step ahead with him.