• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ask for a SAFE clip!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I wish we would I hate clipping but when you have a vampire attacking you or sulking in his cage all the time, I just thought we'd try this. Hormones are the pits!

:hug8:
It helps in colony aggression, so hopefully it will help curb the vampire in your (normally) sweet Galah!

Goffin
Umbrella's

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I don't judge when people make an informed choice to clip their birds wings using the proper technique.
There are a variety of reasons that can be helpful or positive for the entire home and things that can help the bird adapt, as demonstrated by a couple of posts in this very thread. Yes, some people use it as a bandaid too often because they are either lazy or don't know what else to do but it can also be a tool when everything else has failed.

I used to clip Peanut's wings (with good intentions but AA introduced me to new ideas and I made the decision to stop. I feared her getting out into the living room with the dogs in the winter when doors needed to be open due to how I heat this house and wing clipping worked. So would other things that didn't involve clipping that I do now instead. Thanks AA!)
I don't know if anyone really believed how well she could fly clipped. It didn't do much and honestly after her being flighted for a several years now have realized I was basically fooling myself. She could fly so well with the custom clip I gave her the only real difference is in her confidence and the ability to take off from the floor, which could save her life.

What this thread seems about to me isn't so much wing clipping as it is "wing butchering."
It breaks my heart when I see a bird with a complete chop job. If you are going to do it, do it right. Why are there so many people out there, where it is literally part of their job, who have no idea how to do a proper clip? And owners?
Even if the owner is partially at fault there is no way that poor bird should have had so many feathers cut. :(

Tailfeathers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zach
God gave them wings why clip??
"God" gave your dog testicles, why neuter?
"God" gave me a cleft palette, why have it fixed? (not really, just an example)
I'm not trying to say being flighted is a malady, at all. I'm just saying that your reasoning isn't sound enough an argument.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I appreciate your passion @Eloy, @Yoggiecast and @Tailfeathers! Would one of you be willing to start a thread on wether or not to clip? Maybe in the controversial animal topics section, or wherever you feel is best. I very much recognize that wing trimming is a personal choice (outside of where it is illegal) and was hoping to discus how to do a safe clip with minimal chance of injury to the bird for those that have already made the choice to trim.

I deeply respect your decisions and opinions and feel that a separate thread to address the reasons/issues involved with making that decision would be a welcome contribution to AA overall! :) :) :) Perhaps others with strong feels about wether it is right or wrong would also appreciate a place to discuss the issue. Thank you so much for your kind understanding!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Unfortunately when Bella came to me, she also was severely clipped. At her first vet visit, I was told that she wouldn't be able to fly for about a year. Thankfully, it was only 6 months. She can fly but I am going to have to clip her next week. She was invited to go with me to Deep Creek Maryland over Labor Day weekend and it is the first time she will be there but the person who clips is very good at making sure that she doesn't flop and he allows me to be there when he does it.