• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Negative grams in parrot mouth from hand feeding

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know what kind of bird you are hand feeding but, keeping the syringes and food containers CLEAN is mandatory. I highly recommend that you buy some F10 and after rinsing in hot water soak the syringes in a 250/1 solution of F10 and take out only when you are ready to feed. You must wash the food container very well in hot water (and rinse very well) and do not save leftover feed between feedings.

I've done years of hand feeding my two chronically ill birds and believe me I learned the hard way to keep everything immaculately clean.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also recommend you treat with antibiotics and with what Hankmacaw posted. While there are some holistic and natural products that can be used they are better as preventatives and not as treatment. Once the bacteria/yeast is there it is best to treat with prescription meds before the condition worsens.

charlielove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I was/still am hand feeding my Jardine. Ive already gotten vet meds and finished them awhile ago. If any one is wondering a good anti microbial is coconut oil as well as pau de'arco bark as preventative.