• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Name suggestions and advice?

gypsycat25

Moving in
Hi again,

I recently posted about the feeding behavior of my two new baby caiques, and I have another question!

My two babies are from different breeders (a few weeks apart) and have both been with me for only 2-3 days. They are already coming along (the youngest one needs a bit more time and training) and have just been introduced to each other today. Not out of choice, of course, but I left my little white bellied's cage open as I was going back and forth hand-feeding the two, and she decided to climb down her cage, across the floor, up my leg and into the other baby's cage... Just to play with the other baby's toys and eat her food, haha. I had originally decided to keep them separated until they were first bonded to me, however they had other ideas and immediately snuggled up to each other and are now following each other everywhere. My question is will it be more difficult for me to build a bond with them now that they have bonded with each other first?

And also, I am still trying to find names for the babies. So far I am really liking Divina & Octavia, but I would definitely appreciate more suggestions! :) _20150817_095603.JPG

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I like the names that you have chosen. Are they little girls? They are adorable. They may need bigger cages as they grow. My caique is in a 4 ft. x 2.5 ft. cage and he uses every inch of it.

@Irishj9 @saroj12 can probably anwer best about pet qualities of two caiques, but from everything I have heard caiques will bond to their human just as easily as pairs. I would not separate them. I think it would be cruel to do so.

I will tell you that i missed the opportunity to buy a second caique for my boy while he was a baby. He was raised with an unrelated female. I will forever regret that choice. Zeek is nonstop energy. I cannot possibly entertain him like another caique can. He wants to play, wrestle and groom me ALL DAY. He wants my undivided attn. ALL DAY. This means that I cannot type on the computer or talk on the phone when he is with me. When he doesnt get attn., he is loud and becomes very angry. Caiques can deliver nasty bites. He is now 13 yrs. old, and his needy demanding behavior has not improved a bit. What he really needs is another caique. But at his age, I am afraid it is too late and he may attack her. But I do think about it - I imagine him romping and wrestling around the floor with another caique, grooming each other, exploring. I know I did him a diservice by not buying her, but in my defense I was completely ignorant to caique ownership.

gypsycat25

Moving in
Yes, they are both little girls.

That was my initial concern as well, so I made the decision to get two little girls (no future babies!) to keep each other company when I am unable to. They also seem to keep each other quieter... When they're not begging for food, that is :rolleyes:

The younger one (black headed) is still very wary of me petting her or coming near her unless it's to feed her. She was also less socialized than my other baby.

My white bellied baby has her timid moments, but she still comes to me whenever she feels like it, takes treats from me and allows head scritches. She is not very good at stepping up, however, and usually just flies to my shirt and climbs up to my shoulder.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww. They look so cute together. :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My question is will it be more difficult for me to build a bond with them now that they have bonded with each other first?

No, in many ways it will be easier. @rockybird is correct. I have a pair of babies in my bedroom, and they have bonded to each other, the WBC in the next cage, and Me.

Remember in the caique world you are THE GREAT PROVIDER, the bringer of food, and you must be adored for this. However their version of bonding is they own YOU. Don't forget it.

In my case I sometimes I wish my little terrors would ignore me!.
You have NO IDEA (yet) how demanding a caique can be. Better they satisfy each others needs for constant activity and fun, than YOU lol.

Names; You need something which reflects their personalities. I have two females named ( tongue in cheek) Evil Eva, and Spot ( Destroyer of WORLDS!).

'Chaos' and 'Disaster'? LOL

Some phrases you will find useful:
1)YOU!, how did you get out of your cage?
2) Little B*, is that my best shirt you're eating?
3) 'Jesus.........of Nazareth', don't poop on my Mother in Law!

JP

Last edited:

gypsycat25

Moving in
Hahaha Irishj9 that is very useful information I will keep in mind with my tiny terrors.

I can already tell them being together combined with my hand-feeding them is causing them to bond with me. The older white bellied baby now takes treats from my hand, flies to me frequently (every time I set her down in her cage she flies back to me :smuggrin:), calls for me anytime I'm near, sits on my shoulder and climbs around my neck
- to my shoulders - and around and around again. She is also CUDDLING with me now! Which seems crazy because just the other day she wouldn't even go near me. The name "Divina" reminds me of a strong, regal being whom is also kind and gentle, which this little baby is certainly turning out to be. My divine little Caique :heart:

Even my little baby black headed who is fairly skiddish is now more willing to step up for me and actively tries to get out of her cage to be with me. She mostly does this when her big sister is with me... But still :hilarious: She is certainly the sassier/feisty of the two. Causing squabbles with her sister simply because her sister is "playing too much" near her. I think "Octavia" fits her perfectly. Strong and feisty.

By the way, any tips on teaching the white bellied how to step up? The idea of it seems to completely baffle her and she just stares at my fingers, then just flies to me.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
stepping up? Many methods. I trained mine by placing my finger betwen them and a treat they REALLY WANTED, which I held in my other hand.

Plus she is watching the BHC step up and get rewarded EVERY TIME, I hope?