• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique owner - new Quaker questions

drpuckster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Hello, I took in a baby Quaker 6 months old. I own a caique who is about 9 months. Of course the caique goes straight for the jugular given the chance they are across the room in separate cages. The Quaker seems to be raised on seed only and is not eating any fruit or veggies. Should they be in two different rooms? How do I bond with the Quaker? It does not know step up and starts biting if I pick it up. I don't want it to be afraid of me. Should I just leave it alone until it comes to me.

How do I introduce it to the caique and new foods. I want to teach it to talk. Any info on how to to that? Sorry being a caique owner I never had to do this. The little scoundrel just runs around and entertains himself.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
I'm not experienced with Caiques, so will leave advice on your Caique to someone who is experienced.

Lots of patience and persistence is needed when introducing new foods to most any parrot. Parrots tend to be wary of unfamiliar things, and aren't sure if that stuff you're giving them is really edible. Offer the same foods over and over, and be prepared to throw away lots of uneaten foods. Vegetables and many fruits can be prepared in different ways, so you'll need to experiment. Try offering certain vegetables both raw and cooked-- carrots and peas, for example (some vegetables, like most types of beans, generally should be cooked). Offer them as larger pieces, or finely chopped, or mashed up. Something that often works well is to eat some of the same foods you're offering your parrots, and show them how delicious it is. Parrots like to share things their human companions enjoy eating. Never give up-- it took me 8 months to get my QP Ralph to try broccoli, and now it's a favorite vegetable. We're still working on carrots, but Ralph hates almost anything colored orange. :)

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
bff2.jpg
How do I introduce it to the caique and new foods. I want to teach it to talk. Any info on how to to that? Sorry being a caique owner I never had to do this. The little scoundrel just runs around and entertains himself.
The caique and quaker can only be together when you are there to supervise. our quaker Noodles was badly beaten up by one of our caiques and almost died.

It starts out great, and everyone is best pals, and you have hundreds of cute pix, ( see above) but the caique will eventually attack the quaker.

JP