• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training treats for Ekkies

frogfoot

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've just started training with my girl Ruby, and I've found that she'll do ANYTHING for safflower seeds. I've had great success so far using them for harness and flight training. But I don't want to give her too many since they aren't good for her. How much would you say is too much? She will eat them forever if I let her.

frogfoot

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Also, (and this is a more generalized training question).
She loves those safflower seeds a little TOO much. During harness training, I'll slip it on her head (we're not all the way there yet!) and give her treats while it's on her. Then when I go to remove the harness, she will attack my hand! She wants those seeds lol. Any suggestions?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In my opinion, as long as she eats her normal diet fine, and gets the nutrition that she needs, some small seeds used for training will not be an issue with her health wise. When she begins to not eat her healthy diet, then I would begin cutting back. Does she get some exercise each day? This can be a large help to her staying fit and healthy.

Matt