• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do they remember?

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
:jawdrop1: I'm so glad Peaches didn't slit your wrist in a permeant kind of way :wideyed:

Will you share more pictures with us, please?!?! :cool:
I was so bad. I didn't yell at or blame him at all. It was my fault and I knew it right away. However, the bite was nasty and I knew if I went to the ER or an emergency care place, then I'd have to have stitches at the very least. So, I waited for the critical 24 hours and went to the emergent care place. The dr tried to split the skin open to stitch but I knew it had started to heal. So, I had an MRI (I think) to check the wrist and the volar wrist ligaments (I misspoke earlier and said tendon) were partially torn. It was fortunate to be ligaments instead of tendon as ligaments heal more easily. Not easy but more easily. He could have nigh to taken my wrist off, so I was fortunate. He didn't want to harm, but was stabilizing himself.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Oh, and just want all to know that I understand that his fear/anger display. He was upset because Anna had left the room. I'd just been asked for more pics from you guys and I wanted to show you his beautiful colorful display. His feathers are now all uncut and we feed him premium foods. He's very healthy and just a love. Oh, and he not only tolerates his aviator harness, but loves it as he knows it's time to go out for while.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Gay Bradshaw, Ph.D. authored one of the presentations at the above linked conference that MAARS attended. This is more of her work, which can be found on the Kerulos Center website,

http://kerulos.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Bradshaw-Engebretson-ASIParrotPaper2013.pdf

"Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and complex PTSD (C-PTSD) have been diagnosed across species. Clinical diagnosis correlate with neurological evidence. Decreased hippocampal volume (the part of the brain involved in spatial learning and memory tasks) has been linked to depression and symptoms of PTSD in humans and other animals, including birds. Wild birds brought into captivity for only a few weeks may lose up to 23 percent of their hippocampus mass; captivity stress is regarded as a primary factor in its reduction.

Impairment of socio–affective circuits, especially in higher cortical regions, underlie many emotional responses indicative of stress and distress, including persistent fearful temperament; diminished capacity to modulate memory, fear, and social judgment; hyperaggression and emotional dysregulation (agitated screaming, biting); symptoms of PTSD and complex PTSD; feather-picking and feather-damaging behavior; personality disturbances (depression, social and physical incompetence, and attachment disorders); eating disorders; mate trauma; unresponsiveness; poor motor-cognitive-affective skills and response, low activity; and stereotypy."

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't remember the AA member's name but I know she was in MN - she'd adopted a too also (I believe). She'd mentioned that he was afraid of brooms (very afraid) because he and his cage had been hit with them in his former home. The member also mentioned, that the too spoke in different voices - a woman crying, a child "no no, pleas don't hit me", a dog howling and a baby screaming. She had no history on the too but could only imagine from his voices what he'd seen or heard before he came to her. Hair raising would the nicest description of what kind of horrors that bird witnessed before getting to a safe place.

Zeus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Angel Miranda
Great info from David. Yes Sandra, it' sounds like that bird witnessed a lot of home violence & abuse.
"a woman crying, a child "no no, pleas don't hit me", a dog howling and a baby screaming" This bird must of heard this a lot to repeat those phrases.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
And so very sad. Bad enough that people have to live through those horrors that some of the birds have witnessed, let alone how it must have affected the birds.

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
I also work at home so they are always with me.
If we weren't pet maxed out, I'd want a "Zeus." I'm exhausted, sometimes, with our zoo. Zeus is a beauuuuutiful bird!

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
Peaches, fortunately, does not seem to suffer from any serious deficits; though, that's not to diminish the abreaction and the serious nature of its nature. He adapted to our home very quickly. Within 3 months of coming to our home we took him to see our vet at Penn. She was amazed. He was happy, great weight, color had improved, was calm when being examined while being quite curious and alert. She'd not expected him to have adjusted so well. Neither had we. We gave him his space, respected his feelings, gave him fun and healthy things to keep him stimulated, lots of hugs, time just hanging out and talking... His biggest problem is separation anxiety. However, I've discovered that if I talk to him and, quite literally, tell him I'll be right back and keep talking to him, he's much better. As the months have passed, he's gotten better but he was in a cruddy mood today. He was loving but just being a curmudgeon. ;)

I think it helps that he has so much freedom during the day. He's not confined and has a LOT of things to do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Peaches is just beautiful. I'm glad he's found such a wonderful forever home. :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I can totally believe that would upset him, birds do not forget. That's sad that he had to end his life in front of the bird.