• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary Eye problem, help!

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
This hen I've got now lives alone, and she now has an eye problem. The whole eye and area around it is puffy and swollen. Her claws were kind of long, so maybe she scratched it and got it infected?

The bad eye is mostly shut. Her other eye looks perfectly normal. This happened once before, but it just went away. Now it's back, so I'm more concerned.

I clipped her nails and accidentally got the quick, I used a styptic and that is now fine.

But what should I do? What's the cause and cure? 20150730_222558.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That eye looks badly infected and you should probably bring her to an Avian vet to check that out.

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I didn't think it was that bad. Are canaries prone to eye infections at all or is this something very unexpected?

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sarah only an avian will be able to tell what is going on with your canary. Please take her to the vet and have her checked out. It looks painful.

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Okay, okay. I get it now. I don't need everyone saying the exact thing. My regular vet doesn't do birds but I know one that does.

No more posts saying she needs a vet please, but if you have anything else toadd, then by all means.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm sorry that your bird is hurt, but being rude about the advice you are seeking is equally wrong.

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Rude? I'm just letting you know I understand the consensus. Repeatingly bashing me with the same info will not help. I'll take her to the vet first thing tomorrow, but is telling me to do what I'm going to do any use? It's pretty redundant at this point.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need to get my hopes up for somebody telling me they know what this is or something I can do right now or medicinal advice only to be told something I've heard several times and plan to do.

I'm not trying to be rude, but there really is no more need or use in repeating it over and over again. I'm convinced she needs a vet, she will go first thing tomorrow. What more do you want?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you wash her eye with some saline solution till she's gets seen by the vet? It could give her a little comfort. Keep her warm and quiet till then. Hope she's OK.:hug8:

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I don't have any specific saline solution. I'm afraid if I tried to make my own I'd screw bit up and cause more damage. I did buy an anti pain spray (Not for the bird, but happen to have it), but again, I don't know what it will do. I don't want to get any chemicals into her eye and irritate it even more.

I cleaned her cage out completely yesterday to see if that would help, but it seems the same.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just go to the store and get contact lens solution. Get the kind that doesn't have all the additives. If you need help, ask the pharmacy...they can help. Always buy a new bottle every month as it can build bacteria once opened. If you don't open it, it will last awhile.

Also, in the future something good to have on hand is vetericyn eye drops and wash.

The vet will probably give you eye ointment to help clear it up and you will have it on hand if it happens again.

Good luck!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well - that turned out to be not too bad. I'm curious (I know nothing about Canaries) how do you increase their Vit. A intake?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mine do well on lafeber pellets...I do mix a bit of seed in and I give them the same mash that I give the cheekies. Those little guys will eat just about anything.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Will she eat cooked sweet potatoes? Lot of vitamin A in them. Glad she is gonna be OK!

DragonClaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Vet recommended Lafeber and I got some.

He said she had good muscle tone.

But about being okay... she's now acting oddly like my male right before he died.

I'll give her more vitamin A, I'm sure she'll enjoy sweet potatoes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that she gets better soon.

Matt

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hope your little girl is ok. Maybe she's just tired or upset about the vet appointment.