• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazom blue fronted

chaz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charmaine
Hi I just pick up our blue fronted amazon five days ago an noticed he has a very strong smell. Some people told me that is normal is this true. He is 8 mths old.

Thank you chaz

SmokeyJoe69

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Phil
I think it depends on what it smells like. I own a Orange Winged Amazon that is 24 plus years old and my wife and I think she smells like urine. We have had her to the vets and they say it is a normal Amazon smell that she emits when she is excited. I hope this helps.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My amazons (both blue front) have a smell when they are happy. I can start chatting and giving attention and wha la, the smell is there.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Amazons are infamous for their smell. Most of us (who own them) love their pungent musky smell.

I'm a closet feather sniffer, and my Amazon feeds my habit! When he's excited the smell is stronger.

Take care when sniffing Amazons though....they're known to take out their frustrations on noses.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Many different species have a specific smell to them and Amazons are not alone. They tend to give it off when they are excited or scared. My greys have a specific smell they give off when they are nervous, so we get it when we go outside or to the vet!:) If I could bottle it I would. Macaws, specifically the B&G has a similar smell that I could smell all day. Cockatoos also seem to have a specific smell that lots of people really like, especially the big ones like the M2s.

So, to get back to your question, your Amazon is perfectly healthy!:xflove:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Amazons are infamous for their smell. Most of us (who own them) love their pungent musky smell.

I'm a closet feather sniffer, and my Amazon feeds my habit! When he's excited the smell is stronger.

Take care when sniffing Amazons though....they're known to take out their frustrations on noses.
You closet feather sniffer you!:rofl:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Amazon can smell like any number of things when he is riled up and/or in a playful mood - french fries, froot loops, etc.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My Amazon can smell like any number of things when he is riled up and/or in a playful mood - french fries, froot loops, etc.
And Wasabi is one of a kind...Froot Loops? Really?!?!?!? LOL!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I thought lots of Amazons smell like Froot Loops. No?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I thought lots of Amazons smell like Froot Loops. No?
My guys have more of a musty smell...it isn't very strong either but they're girlie girls...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you just got him, he might be stressed and making dirty socks smells. Stressed amazons are stinky sometimes. Happy amazons emit puffs of fruity, sweet, musky smells. Give him time. Dirty socks if stressed, fruit loops when happy. If he's a rescue or rehome on a poor diet, then the dirty socks smell might take longer to get over and might not improve much until you get him on a good diet and his emotional health in a happier place.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My Amazon smells musky. Give your bird time to settle in, as @melissasparrots suggested.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never noticed any odor from my BFA except when he takes a bath and then he smells like a wet bird. On the other hand, there is sometimes a sweet odor emanating from my YNA.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
My BFA (as well as the DYH and GCA I grew up with) all produce a pleasant musty odor when happy and excited (in a good way). It is a well known characteristic unique to amazons. I too am an amazon sniffer, and now that mine is trusting enough to let me, I quite enjoy sniffing him up close:D

(As a note, you may not want to let non-parrot people know you sniff your bird. It sounds a bit....strange lol).

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
If you just got him, he might be stressed and making dirty socks smells. Stressed amazons are stinky sometimes. Happy amazons emit puffs of fruity, sweet, musky smells. Give him time. Dirty socks if stressed, fruit loops when happy. If he's a rescue or rehome on a poor diet, then the dirty socks smell might take longer to get over and might not improve much until you get him on a good diet and his emotional health in a happier place.
That's very interesting, melissasparrots. When a terrified Ollie arrived 5 years ago he was STINKY! So stinky I wondered how I was going to live with it. It took a while but his smell changed into a fruity biscuits and milk smell which I can't get enough of.

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
Thinking about getting an Amazon. I've done tons of research but I want owners advice :hehepink: I am pretty sure I have decided to get an Amazon if I do get one. Possibly a red lored