• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby bird experts... I need to know about my tiel

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I acquired a new cockatiel last week. Little Loki seems very young, but I am not sure how to tell. He has the big eyes, beak and feet that seem would be typical of a baby.
He is very unsurefooted, woobly, nervous and eats a lot. When I got Odin (the now 18 month old tiel) he was comparably much more "comfortable" with himself.
Loki walks backwards, shivers and shakes, even sounds like a baby when he calls to Odin, is not very good at climbing..... etc. He seems very healthy as far as eating and drinking. Eats a lot, drinks well.
I would like to know how old this baby is, is there any way to find out? and are there any precautions I should take? The store didn't know and they likely won't find out for me.
Thank you in advance.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The store didn't know and they likely won't find out for me.

That is your problem. It's very possible that the bird came from a mill and was force weaned too young and "sold" too young. This is nothing personal Chantal but if you support pet stores and buy animals from them, you get what you get and you deal with it.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he banded? You can sometimes track down the breeder that way.

What about a vet visit? Vets can give an educated guess on the age and whether or not he needs comfort feedings.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
He is banded. Is there a website to track down the breeder with the bands?

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, but you can contact AACC (if the band is an AACC band, that is. It will say).

Or I can give it a shot... If you want to PM me the details.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Are you weighing him to make sure he's eating enough and not losing weight? Poor little guy, he does sound very young.

Put some perches down low so he doesn't have to climb so much. Is Odin accepting him okay?

That is your problem. It's very possible that the bird came from a mill and was force weaned too young and "sold" too young. This is nothing personal Chantal but if you support pet stores and buy animals from them, you get what you get and you deal with it.
Really no need to scold. Your message could have been delivered much more gently. OP asked for advice, and had already stated the store was unlikely to help.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
He loves Odin, follows like a baby would. His cage is perched up like crazy! I put a blanket at the bottom in case he falls. He is caged separate from Odin, but they play together on a blanket on the floor with me.
I don't weigh him. I will purchase a scale and start that right away. I am concerned that his emotional well being is being affected, as if he is as young as I suspect, he will want to have that "mommy" connection, similarly to babies in general.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Really no need to scold. Your message could have been delivered much more gently. OP asked for advice, and had already stated the store was unlikely to help.

You're quite right. It was worded wrong. It should have read that is "the" problem ( the pet store). It was not personal.

Odin the first thing with any new bird is to get it looked at by a vet as was already mentioned. Then you know what your dealing with.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
@JLcribber no offence taken! Honestly! :) I will take all of the advice and be the best parront I can be. Thank you bunches everyone!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I acquired a new cockatiel last week. Little Loki seems very young, but I am not sure how to tell. He has the big eyes, beak and feet that seem would be typical of a baby.
He is very unsurefooted, woobly, nervous and eats a lot. When I got Odin (the now 18 month old tiel) he was comparably much more "comfortable" with himself.
Loki walks backwards, shivers and shakes, even sounds like a baby when he calls to Odin, is not very good at climbing..... etc. He seems very healthy as far as eating and drinking. Eats a lot, drinks well.
I would like to know how old this baby is, is there any way to find out? and are there any precautions I should take? The store didn't know and they likely won't find out for me.
Thank you in advance.
I got Bella at 7 weeks old more for her safety. The person who had her was having heating issues in February and I wanted her to be in a warm house. First, I found out that she was not weaned or had regressed. She cried for almost a day but I did have the foresight to buy formula and when she saw that syringe with warm formula in it, she was happy. I wound up hand feeding first 2x a day than once a day for 6 more weeks. Even thought Loki may look like he is eating, the only true way to tell is by weighing him. If he is not gaining weight, he may need formula supplementation. Bella was extremely clumsy and even broke all of her tail feathers at one time. What I did was to get a "small" cage (which is now her hotel cage) and kept her in there for a few weeks. Then when she wanted the big cage, I found that she could climb up the cage and not climb back down so she would call me and then I would put her back into her cage. This also took about 6 weeks. Just give Loki time, he will soon enough be chasing after his big brother Loki

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
sounds like this baby may need a comfort feeding or 2 or more. you may want to get some type of feeding formula and either syringes or eyedroppers. put all the perchs as low as possible. if you can video tape this little one's behaviour, that would help us to see what s/he is doing.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Thank you in advance.

Which store?

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Pet value in New Liskeard Ontario, my home town

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
check with the store and make sure they can't help you... They might be able to let you see their vet etc if the bird is still covered under return

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Odin can you post a photo of the baby? Or even a video? What is the band number and letters?

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Yes I can get a video of him. Will try this afternoon. I have had him for a week yesterday. The store staff, although very kind (we are a small town, so everyone knows everyone) were not able to tell me anything at the time of purchase. I asked a million questions about where he was from, his age, who the heck clipped his wings so short (grrr) and so on. They cannot tell me anything, I don't know if Petvalue has policies around not saying anything? Or they honestly just "sell the birds"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John