• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safely housing a cockatiel and a lovebird?

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
My question here isn't really all the details, but rather.. the safety of the two species.
I do not have a lovebid yet, but my future roommate has a cockatiel (very friendly with other birds, and a very nice bird) and I know I'll be getting a lovie when I move out. I know most of the general safety concerns (Quarantine, don't leave them together unsupervised, keep them in separate cages) but I'm just worried that I'm overlooking something.

I've never properly introduced two new birds together, let alone different species. It'll be a new place, so it'll be fairly neutral territory when it happens. I know to keep them supervised, even when only one is out - in case of toe biting or bird bullying. I figured I'd ask AA if there's anything I'm missing? I want to be prepared and make sure neither of our birdies get hurt.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh it can definitely be done. Usually with MALE baby lovebirds thatare then associated with cockatiels and housed with them. They do great! I have two experiences of this. WWorked well.

Jelliebean I actually got as an adult. Two year old male lovebird. He would feed my breeds pair of cockatiels AND THEIR babies ins is the nest box. He'd roll the babies on their backs to feed them.Lovebirds style. Lol

Then there is Petrie. He was handraised with a cockatiel Buzz Buzz. And they were bonded and mated (yes they mated! And blooded their eggs together too). And he fed her too.

I dont have experience with hens but he a they are not as mellow and sweet as the males can be.