• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't get a parrot

lilparrots4me

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow. Never thought about it quite like that.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
I thought it was presumptuous. I am not with my birds 24/7 and they are fine, and i literally had NO access to rescues before getting them. I don't know if it's that one or another where she claims that if you can't visit a rescue before getting a bird you're too lazy for a parrot. The only one I could find in my entire state runs out of foster homes. i don't think i am unfit for birds just because I work full time.

edit: and isn't it counter productive to state that there are tons of birds in rescue, then discourage peoole from getting a bird at all rather than doing research and rescuing? this whole "nibody but the most perfect person ever should get a parrot" attitude i see in the community reeks of elitism.

Last edited:

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I think many AA members are the exception. For my own part, though I wanted some species of parrot for ages, my life wasn't structured in a way that could allow for all of the multifaceted needs of one. Now, being semi-retired and self employed, I have created a home that revolves around the companion creatures in my care...haven't had what others would consider a vacation in 8 years (my semi-retired life is a permanent vacation as far as I'm concerned!), I am up with the sun and fairly early to bed, I am only away from home for 4-5 hours out of the 24 at *most* on the days that I do see clients, I have a longstanding habit of observing non-verbal behaviors (a necessity when working in chronic pain rehab),etc, etc...

While I wouldn't make a blanket statement telling everyone in the world to not get a parrot, I'm glad that she has. It's like when folks periodically tell @cassiesdad that he should post YouTube videos of Milton...he responsibly says he wouldn't because too many of the uninformed would see them and just think that "a 'Too is a fantastic pet!"

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Her article is spot on for uninformed folks about parrots and the care they need. Only thing missing is impulse buying.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't like it at all for several reason. But the most important thing is that she make us good parrot owner look stupid.
I mean we all here know what parrots needs, and we don't tell them to “SHUT THE FU**K UP!” if they are screaming.

I always tell people how demanding it is to have a parrot. And in fact most of them don't want a parrot after I'm done.
But I explain why in a nice way, and never treat them as they are stupid and not can think for themselves.

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
I thought it was presumptuous. I am not with my birds 24/7 and they are fine, and i literally had NO access to rescues before getting them. I don't know if it's that one or another where she claims that if you can't visit a rescue before getting a bird you're too lazy for a parrot. The only one I could find in my entire state runs out of foster homes. i don't think i am unfit for birds just because I work full time.

edit: and isn't it counter productive to state that there are tons of birds in rescue, then discourage peoole from getting a bird at all rather than doing research and rescuing? this whole "nibody but the most perfect person ever should get a parrot" attitude i see in the community reeks of elitism.
I actually think she made many valid points, but, yeah, sounded kinda sanctimonious about it :blink:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm...I never regret having my birds. And she makes it sound like she views having them as a burden. :(

I do like that she talks about respecting them; acknowledging their intelligence and emotional complexity.

Chihuahua

Hmm...I never regret having my birds. And she makes it sound like she views having them as a burden. :(

I do like that she talks about respecting them; acknowledging their intelligence and emotional complexity.
This is the feeling I get too, and I think that's sad. I have my days where I don't want to deal with them at all (sometimes the noise is overstimulating for me as someone on the autism spectrum), but I don't regret getting them.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the feeling I get too, and I think that's sad. I have my days where I don't want to deal with them at all (sometimes the noise is overstimulating for me as someone on the autism spectrum), but I don't regret getting them.
I think it's sad, too. They don't deserve to be spoken of like burdens. They're wonderful creatures. (I mostly treat my birds like little people, but ones I have to corral for their own protection.)

I'm lucky that the noise mine make doesn't bother me. More often than not, they're the only part of my day I like! I view a lot of other things as getting in the way of having more time to spend with them. But sometimes I am really tired and just want to go straight to sleep. Can't! Birdies await. :)

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I was also a little disturbed by her article. Yes, I was one who bought my first tiel from a pet store not having any clue about her needs but I found out what they were right away and all of my friends have told me that they want to come back as my pets. But I am also aware of my circumstances and chose Bella because I didn't have the time or desire to be with a larger bird. I am lucky I live in a house and I live alone so she can vocalize any time she wants to. She has more toys than most children have and I special order food for her from the internet, as well as trying to give her the dreaded vegetables. She gets regular vet care, has taken trips with me, and has plenty of out of the cage time when she wants it. She is healthy, happy, and well adjusted. About going to a rescue, I agree that if there is one available, that should be an option. The one where I live has you jump through so many hurdles but yet may not give you a bird. The question about whether birds should be bred is one I don't know the answer to but Bella was already born when I was looking and she was in a place where the owner was having trouble keeping her aviary warm in the winter. Should I have not gotten Bella? Who knows what would have happened to her? But I do believe that before getting a bird, research should be done, including the downsides of each species to see what bird, if any, is right for you and that with all birds, especially the larger species, there needs to be a plan for long term care when the owner is not able to take care of the bird any more. I think the author is coming from a good place and has some good points and is misguided in others.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I read this originally on tumblr and felt it was too preachy and elitist. People who want birds are going to get them regardless of what you say, so give them facts. Facts alone will usually talk people out of getting a pet if they just wanted one because yours is perceived as cute, cuddly, or funny. I also find it's hypocritical to say NO BIRDS when you yourself own one, even if your opinion changed after the fact.

I DO understand her coming off so abrasive though, because tumblr is full of young ones or those who are just starting to become young adults (making their own money, moving out, etc) so maybe she's trying to dissuade the young and irresponsible owners more so than the general adult population?

Last edited:

DancingFeathers

Avenue Veteran
While I'm not a fan of most of the details, such as the mention of constant regret or the notion that only rescues should have birds (simply put, rescues are overcrowded as is) I appreciate people telling things how they are.

Parrot people are weird- they just are :). Non-parrot people aren't worse for not liking parrots. It just takes a weird kind of person to shrug off the fact that a bird can and will bite or scream at any given moment. Parrot people have learned to think like a bird!

I liken parrots to eternal two year olds. They have simular social and psycological needs. More importantly, both are simultaneously clever and have a simpler and seemingly skewed sense of logic. Both have irrational fears and both have tempur tantrums from hell! Beyond that though, the two share what I think is a perfect blend of codependency and independence. They want you to be there- not for you to coddle them, but for you to explore and play together or simply relax.

Most people hate the terrible twos and count down the days until it has ended, but I love two year olds. They always make me smile, and I treasure the adventurous and loving spirit of toddlers more than I hate the tantrums. The thought of an eternal two year is exciting to me. That's why parrots just make sense for me.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It's a good article whether she was preachy or not. It will make the people that just think a parrot would be a cool thing to have think long and hard about it before jumping in. When Nerd died my house was too quiet and I missed having him around to make comments and hang out with me but I did consider my age and how much work it was to have him as part of my family all those years even though until the last few years no real vets bills and he was very happy as part of my flock.
I ended up getting Lurch fairly quickly because my family knew I was devastated and they missed him too so they helped me get Lurch, or I probably would have stayed bird less for a while till finances and the hurt of loosing Nerd got better.
Lurch had a bit of a rough time after loosing his old man owner that got dementia and was put in a home. He wasn't treated well by the leftover wife and was mad at the world because he didn't know why his friend left him. It's been over 5 years and he pretty much trusts and loves me now but it was a battle getting there and he still has his triggers and bad days.
I think perspective parrot caretakers should know all the good and bad going in so more birds don't end up going through many homes till they find one that can accept them for who they are, any baggage included.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
To be honest, I think birds are terrible pets most of the time. That being said, there are tons of birds that still need homes and I will continue to be one of them. However, if I could go back in time and stop people importing birds from the beginning, I would in a heartbeat.