• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Next issue :)

NursKel

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelly
Ok, so I'm at home from work this morning and was able to get Clyde out and have him around me for about three hours. Two of those hours he was super sweet, just wanted to be around Adam and I and flew to my arm when I left the room (WEIRD). The last hour he turned into a little jerk - just wanted to bite my fingers and scream at me so I put him in his cage for a time out. Since he's been upstairs in his cage he's screaming, a lot. I'm headed to the dollar store in a minute for some toddler toys that he might enjoy playing with while I'm away and Cassidy or Adam are otherwise occupied.

Since he's still new to us is it normal for him to turn like that if he's just been over stimulated? He'll get that way at night as well, about an hour before bedtime. But when Cassidy reads him his bedtime story he goes into his little hut and is ok. But that hour before he's a different bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Although I don't have conures, my guess is that he's tired/over stimulated. My cockatiel who is a love bug becomes Mr. Cranky if he's up too late. You may want to think about putting Clyde to bed a little earlier. I've found it's best to put Sunny to bed before he becomes Mr. Cranky.

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
orion turns into a brat if he's up too late sometimes

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might try interacting with him in shorter time frames more often. Ambient attention can be just as good, if not better, than one on one attention. They need to learn to be independent while still enjoying attention. If you have a play stand, you might try interacting with him for 15-30 minutes, then to the stand or cage for 30-45 minutes, back with you for a short period of time, then to stand or cage, etc. Try to keep interactions short and sweet if he's getting over-stimulated, bored or tired.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Gilly gets bitey when he's out too long because he needs a food break! Sometimes he needs a nap too.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think all the advice you received here is good. Three or four hours is too much direct attention. I wouldn't want someone in my face for four hours! I also get cranky if I'm hungry or thirsty. If he didn't have access to food and water during that time that could also be contributing to the problem.

Try indirect attention- where he is out of his cage and in the same room with you, but you're not directly interacting. Like having him on a playstand while you watch TV for example. And make sure he always has access to food and water.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry but is he a baby? Babies get tired and need naps more often.
Even adults don't really need or want 3 hrs of interaction at once. Mine is cage free and always chooses to be in the room with me, and usually near me, but most of the time is simply content being nearby and not actively seeking out my attention.

NursKel

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelly
Clyde is a little over a year old. I'm not sure if that's still baby status or not. He usually has access to water, at least. I keep a bowl for him on the kitchen table. Right now he's on his stand over there and is just kinda in the same room. I whistle at him now and again and he seems happy. Just had a bath so he's occupied with preening himself.
We'll try the more indirect approach. He doesn't seem to mind any of us and is content with whomever as long as he's not alone. Cassidy is headed back to school next week so he'll have to learn to like Adam more if he doesn't want to be alone :)

Thanks guys!!

TwoNames

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
If Baxter doesn't take a nap during the day, he can get cranky in the evenings sometimes. We just put him in his cage and he usually just heads for his tent and passes out. Reminds me of my two year old daughter.