• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preening me, or what?

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
Hello all! I just joined this forum this morning. I have a quick question!
I just brought home my linnie baby (hatched March 31st) two weeks ago, today. We are getting along very well, he's still a bit hand shy but if I do convince him to let me pick him up he tweets happily about it. He's "yelling" less and less now -- as I call his clearly-unhappy-noises -- but I've determined that, when he yells, it's not as often about "get away from me" so much as needing something -- such as when his water was empty, or if I'm cuddling him up on my shoulder he'll yell if I stop or move my hand away. Of course he still yells as a "get away from me" kinda thing sometimes, but not as often.
Okay, now for the preening question -- this stuff was relevant! Sometimes when I am cuddling him up by my neck (he holds on to my tshirt collar), if I stop for a few seconds, he'll climb onto my shoulder -- or onto my back, behind my neck -- and pretty intently peck/prod at my hair -- not pecking/poking hard, but just very fast (my hair is very short, so he's basically pecking at my head), all the while "yelling." This is a situation where he's happy before he climbs over there, and is happy when I hold again. I am confused about what he is doing, because I would assume that if he's "preening" he wouldn't act upset about it. What does this sound like to you? Is this preening, or is it him like jabbing at me to say "pay attention to me," or what? What is the right thing to do in response to it? Thanks! <3

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I get pecks on my neck when Valentine wants to go to bed. :cool:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If he is not pulling too hard, then it is probably preening. For most birds, it is difficult to preen their own nape (back of the neck). Due to this, it is common for birds to preen another bird, or person, in that area.

Matt

dampfenmist

Moving in
Real Name
Erin Wilson
It sounds like my linnie may do something similar. She will wiggle her head back and forth through my hair while occasionally making a growly sort of noise. She'll grab small amounts with her beak and preen them. I think she is playing.

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
My Loki did this to me for a bit. usually when I looked away and felt like she got disgruntled then when I look back at her she be all happy and stop. When I got Cynder, she would do the same to her when they would both squabble over a toy or a favorite perch.
I think it's it's a type of beak dualing. Disagreement or want your attention.
"Love meeeeeee! Errrrrr"

Last edited:

Macgyver

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Our linnie did a similar thing to her favorite person, my husband, but the motion was more of a wiggle-push against him. He claims she wanted him to do something that he wasn't doing (like go to burrow in the couch, which was not allowed). If she got really worked up, it would result in a sort of "beak-punch" against his cheek, which didn't hurt at all but was still a bit rude on her part. Beak punches got her a trip back to the cage. I'll see if I have any video.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Those are "electric hugs". Linnies do that. it's the baby begging motion and it carries into adulthood...sort of how a cat kneads its paws.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My Linnies like to hide in my hair on back of neck. I think it is a security measure.