• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Staphylococcus aureus

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Such terribly annoying bacterial infections. There are strains resistant to antibiotics. But Zazu keeps getting these infections on the skin he picks at.

I trust that my vet knows what she's doing, I just feel bad constantly having him on antibiotics. When I myself take antibiotics I feel like total poop so I can't imagine being on them as much as he is. Poor guy.

Just wondering if anyone has any holistic advice or approaches to at least reduce the impact of either the antibiotic or infection? Any experiences, suggestions or stories to tell?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Honey! It's science!

For whatever reason I can't paste a link on my mobile right now. But if you google

Honey topical staph

you can will find some really great info. I'm not trying to LMGTFY... I wanted to recommend the World Wide Wounds site which has good information but can't directly paste the link. So here's to treasure hunts! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, I always use a probiotic when Jasper is on antibiotics - daily. I give them about weekly when she is well.

I'm not much of a holistic fan other than supportive care with things that have had peer reviewed research.

If your bird is turning up with antibiotic resistant bacteria you and your Dr. absolutely need to know exactly which bacteria it is and which antibiotic it is sensitive to. That requires a culture and sensitivity. They are expensive, but without one you could be giving an antibiotic that is doing nothing except reinforcing the bacteria's resistance. You really have to take a very organized approach to the problem.

Right now with Jasper getting one antibiotic resistant bacteria after another, I'm disinfecting her entire atmosphere with F10 DAILY. You might consider doing this too.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is some useful information about MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus);

MRSA Bacteria in Pets: What They Are and What Causes Them

MRSA FAQ

You also need to be aware that MRSA is Zoonotic. Which means you can give it to your pet and your pet can give it to you. Personal hygiene is very, very important.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
The other issue is when you run a sensitivity test (that tells which antibiotic will kill it) all other pervious antibiotics MUST be out of the system first in order for the senitivity test to be accurate. That is why it is just so important to have one done before you allow an antibiotic to enter the body first. Some of these vets will just hand out one to make more $$$ and sometimes just to pacify the owner. NEVER a good practice.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I have done a culture and sensitivity. Luckily the strain he has right now is resistant to amoxcillin but not others tested for (there was a list of 10?). Staph is hard to eliminate from the environment since it is a part of our natural skin flora. It's a problem when it gets into wounds.
I don't think we have F10 here in Canada but I'll look for it.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
This is from a nurses(for humans) perspective. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. You need to wash your hands for 20-30 seconds with soap (liquid soap and it does not have to be antibacterial ) and hot water. From your fingers all the way to your elbows including jewelry. Do this before and after handling your bird or his things. Clean his environment frequently. Wipe down cage bars at least every 2 days. If you can't get f10 than use white vinegar and hot water mixed 50/50 and rinse well. Wash all food dishes with hot soapy water with white vinegar mixed in and rinse very well. Wash clothing, towels, rags etc. That come in contact with him or his environment daily (This does not mean you have to do laundry daily but that you don't use things more that one day and that you keep it separate from the rest of your laundry. ) Best to use something bactericidal like white vinegar, or bleach (or f10 if it is safe for clothing) in this laundry. This will be time consuming and annoying. But this is about decreasing the bacteria present in his environment without causing increased resistance. Also regular showers for him at least every couple days to decrease itching and dried skin and to rinse bacteria away from wounds. Good luck.

Use liquid soap in a pump dispenser for your hand washing because bar soaps can actually get colonized with bacteria.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have done a culture and sensitivity. Luckily the strain he has right now is resistant to amoxcillin but not others tested for (there was a list of 10?). Staph is hard to eliminate from the environment since it is a part of our natural skin flora. It's a problem when it gets into wounds.
I don't think we have F10 here in Canada but I'll look for it.
Yep, you have it in Canada. I know for sure that Danita's store carries it. T4W (Things for Wings is the name). You are lucky that the strain is only immune to amoxicillin.

PS - F10 is totally non oxidant and doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
This is from a nurses(for humans) perspective. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. You need to wash your hands for 20-30 seconds with soap (liquid soap and it does not have to be antibacterial ) and hot water. From your fingers all the way to your elbows including jewelry. Do this before and after handling your bird or his things. Clean his environment frequently. Wipe down cage bars at least every 2 days. If you can't get f10 than use white vinegar and hot water mixed 50/50 and rinse well. Wash all food dishes with hot soapy water with white vinegar mixed in and rinse very well. Wash clothing, towels, rags etc. That come in contact with him or his environment daily (This does not mean you have to do laundry daily but that you don't use things more that one day and that you keep it separate from the rest of your laundry. ) Best to use something bactericidal like white vinegar, or bleach (or f10 if it is safe for clothing) in this laundry. This will be time consuming and annoying. But this is about decreasing the bacteria present in his environment without causing increased resistance. Also regular showers for him at least every couple days to decrease itching and dried skin and to rinse bacteria away from wounds. Good luck.

Use liquid soap in a pump dispenser for your hand washing because bar soaps can actually get colonized with bacteria.

Great info!

A friend was taught to sing Happy Birthday while washing the hands, do it for that long of a period. Oh, and don't forget about washing under the finger nails too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Great info!

A friend was taught to sing Happy Birthday while washing the hands, do it for that long of a period. Oh, and don't forget about washing under the finger nails too.

True. Also you must rub the hands together. Friction helps as much or more than the soap.