• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN advice needed!!!!

MarvelBirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Ok so I'm new to IRN's and parrots/parakeets in general!!

On Friday night I brought home my three, nearly four month, old blue IRN! It (still deciding on a name) isn't tame yet and it was used to being surrounded by quite a few other RN's it's age until separated into a lone cage. The man who we brought the bird from (who was extremely helpful) told use that he'd managed to pick up the bird and get it into a calm enough state to feed it pieces of apple.

On Saturday afternoon me and my mum tried to handle him, like the man told us to do. Of course I wasn't expecting it to be calm or pleased about the action! I managed to get it calm only slightly, talking to it in a soft voice and holding it against my chest with my hands over it's wings. It did squark a bit! I haven't held it since because I don't want to stress it out too much, since that same evening we moved it from it's travelling cage into the big parrot cage we've brought.

It's eating, having the occasional peck at seeds and drinking from it's water bowl so thats a good sign! It's still a bit shy of us! Facing the other way when we talk to it and waddling off to another part of the cage! It's mainly on the floor of the cage too. It was a bit wobbly on a perch the first morning of having it but it's improved, now sitting quite comfortably on a perch when it feels like it, however that isn't often. Is that normal for a RN of it's age? I've put it down to nerves, but could it be something else?

Also it is placed beside my Budgies at the minute! Is that a good idea? It was used to being around other types of birds including a Macaw!

But the real question I wanted to ask was how to go about taming it! I know it's not going to be an over night success and it's going to take a lot of time and patience! But I'm unsure of things like, how often to handle it etc.! I've read many different things online, some say to handle it around three times a day, some say less and some say more. I wondered if anyone could give me a set routine they did that worked for them.

The only birds I've owned are Cockatiels and Budgies! And all of them were semi tame when I got them, so earning their trust and having them comfortably sitting on my hand wasn't a difficult job!

Can anyone please give me some advice and answer my questions?!

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
well don't pick it up and hold it against your chest for starters. sot with your hand in the cage opening with some treats that the bird likes, not making eye contact.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Hi there,

it is always a good idea to take a new bird for a check up with an avian vet before you take it near your other birds.

Depending on your bird, it might take some time for him to learn to trust you. You are right that holding him/her to your chest is not the best way to earn trust.
I really recommend reading this:
Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots
I followed the ideas in the link above and was surprised how quickly my bird started to make friends with me. I just carefully dropped treats through the bars into her food dish and moved away so she could eat them in peace. Very soon she started coming up to grab the treats as I dropped them and eating them while I was still near the cage. After she had done that a few times, she got braver and started grabing them from my hand before they got to the dish.
When she was pretty confident grabbing treats from me, I started opening the cage door for her to offer her treats just inside the doorway and she would come over and get them.

Be very careful not to move quickly or scare him/her and let him come to you at his/her own speed. Lots of patience is needed! It can take weeks or months to earn a birds trust. Even when my girl was tame enough too step up, we still had to move very carefully around her for a few weeks before she decided we were completely safe and wouldn't hurt her.

best of luck

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
First of all you should have quarantined the bird for thirty days in case of diseases that could be passed to or from your birds. It could be dangerous otherwise and could lead to problems.

My Kiwi was untame and nippy when I got him. His owners lied to me about him and I was very discouraged and worried. Now he is the sweetest thing. First I got him used to the idea of treats. He loved my hands because they fed him. He learned to trust that fingers meant food. After he trusted me, taming was easy. I could give you a more detailed regiment if you would like to message me.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Most IRNs that I have alseen are very food motivated. My IRN didn't come to me tame and it was a work in progress to get her out of the cage and handleable. The biggest thing was not stressing her out.

My IRN loves apples and squash. I use these foods to encourage her to do things for me.