• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourke Parakeets

Rowdy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
I've loved Bourke Parakeets for quite awhile - they seem like such great birds! Budgie sized but minus the CH-CH-CH noises :'D, and with the temperament of a cockatiel. I have a friend who has a pair that she bought from the mom-and-pop store where I work, but other than her pair we've never seen any around here except for a pair at another pet store in town a few years ago.

They seem like perfect little birds, why aren't they more popular?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've always thought they seemed like nice birds too. I rarely see them around here though. I'm not sure why they're not more popular.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is most likely because they do not come in all of the different colors that budgies do.

Matt

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There are posts about bourkes in this forum. :)

Aussie Grass Parrots Lane | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Bourkes are not really known for their talking ability, nor are they very cuddly. The most popular mutation is opaline, aka "Rosie". Bourkes tend to be more aviary type birds rather than pet birds (aka not very hands on), thus they're not as popular. They can, and do, make excellent pets though, for the right people! :)

I kind of liken them to something between a cockatiel and a finch. Very flighty birds that don't climb around much, but also very docile and chatty. They can be feisty little birds, but they're typically more "growl" than bite. ;)