• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new to canaries HELP

susi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
susi
Hello

I moved into my new home on July 6th to discover the previous tenants had left 2 canaries and 2 rabbits. Ive had rabbits before so I get the care for them. I have an Orange Winged Amazon so know the basics of bird care (i know amazon care but canaries seem to be a different set of rules totally!).

day 1 canaries (and rabbit!) escaped. rabbit I found a whole in its run. easy sort. canary I thought i did the cage up wrong so after the dog nosed the poor bird i popped it back in in shock. Covered the cage to allow it to settle and recover. It seemed fine. 2 days later i discovered it wasnt me with the cage when i saw the cat carrying the poor thingt up the stairs!!!! Again it was in deep shock but a few hours later seemed fine after the same care (all animals removed incase they escaped again!!) 2 days after i carried the cage upstairs to my bedroom because the kids kept letting the cats in by accident. It was impossible to keep them safe until i could source a new cage.

Cage found a day after them going into my bedroom! Fantastic it thought. Poor little canary died from delaid shock. Im heartbroken that this poor bird died because I didnt know what I was doing!!!

Sooo, this left 1 canary all on its own and me in and out all day so not fair on its own. Another canary was needed fast! Finally found 1 for sale. Drove over an hour and brought home 2 beautiful canaries. the 3 (after a quarantine period) are now in together and the best of friends. So there is a sort of happy ending.

my question is as a rookie canary owner is, 1 of the new canaries (Twinkle) was bright yellow when she arrived, shes now pale yellow almost white. What am i doing wrong please?
they get canary seed along with the same chop my amazon gets (usually veg finely chopped up) and they love it. Its clear they havent had it before by the look on their faces :)

They are adorable and Im smitten with them and just want to do right by them

Anything else i need to know would be fantastic as well.

Thank you

Susi

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Cat and dog saliva is extremely harmful to birds. I'm willing to bet that was the main factor for the canary's death. I'm so sorry for your loss, RIP little birdy. :(

I've never heard of an adult canary changing colors. How long ago did you get her, and when did she start changing colors?

Good luck with your canaries! They're a joy to have. :)

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
This is molting season which may be why the color is "fading". You can get a "color" food to help keep their color vibrant. Do you know if you have males or females? Remember a canary's main objective is singing to attract a mate. Having 3 together could cause problems down the road so just be watchful. My little guy is molting now. He started the end of June and it will probable last well into August. Not much singing because of that.
Try to provide molting food in a small cup. mine likes the yellow of eggs and all manner of fruits and vegies so your chop sounds great. They also like to bathe. I give my guy a small dish with cool water every morning;his choice.
Enjoy your guys. You will be amazed at the beautiful song.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid I have not advice but just wanted to say welcome and thank you for caring for these abandoned animals.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum. Three canaries can be tricky. I have three in a cage, but it has a divider, which is needed during breeding season when their hormones make them act wonky. I would also add shredded carrots and hard boiled egg to their chop to help with their colors and feathers.