• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Babies

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
Our goose Ava has been sitting on some duck eggs and they are very close to hatching. I'm not sure exactly when because I forgot to mark the day she started laying on my calendar. Within a week at most. Anyways three days ago I noticed the half of one of the eggs shells was missing. The inner film is still in tact but the outer shell is mostly missing. Anyways she never kicked it out of the nest and today I was going to throw it out. But then when I picked it up I saw it breathing and a heartbeat. I felt its little body under the inner film. Will it hatch and survive and be able to live a normal life? Will it have trouble hatching and if it doesn't hatch with the others what should I do?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Most interesting! I am bumping this for you!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not sure about poultry eggs. But , if it hasn't hatched in a couple days....you may have to assist. Is there an avian vet you can consult? Hope the little makes it!!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I'm not sure about poultry eggs. But , if it hasn't hatched in a couple days....you may have to assist. Is there an avian vet you can consult? Hope the little makes it!!
I was worried about that. Our avian vet refuses to work on poultry. The vets in our area feel that poultry are 'disposable'. I have lost many chickens because of that. I do however believe he isn't far from hatching. I can feel his body below the surface and it appears to be fairly large. I just don't want him to be disabled. We come from an area with lots of predators and last year our disabled chick was trampled. It was devastating. I was told not to break the membrane which is all that is left on one side.