• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lupron???

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Probably to reduce the possibility of seizures and to give her an extra boost.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
She is in good hands. Her system is low on a few things and I am sure they will doing the right things

I am guessing she is in there to keep her body heat up. This helps the body recover and also keep her quiet. Plus the incubator will have hydration to keep the air moist, which will also help.

Were you increasing her calcium intake and raised protein intake, while she was laying.
The other question or point I would like to make.
Were you feeding pellets under the assumption as per their advertising "A complete nutritional Diet"?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Lots of egg laying will deplete any calcium reserves of course. This almost sounds like something was blocking the absorption of the calcium.

The helper foods/ingredients that go with calcium like phosphorus and vitamin D need to be in the right ratios along with the calcium in order for them to actually make use of it.

Amanda is also a pretty big time egg layer. She does not eat pellets. I've had good success keeping her healthy (to lay eggs) by supplementing her soft foods with "Prime". This is a "complete" supplement that provides all the right things in all the right proportions.

Here is some documentation. 82105 - Prime Supplement - 70 g (3 oz)

Mention and discuss this with your vet. I really think she would benefit from this.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Sorry about Cyd. Sending positive thoughts to both of you and hoping she recovers quickly. Here is what was recommended to me by a vet many years ago:
Calcium Powder
Can check with your vet regarding this.
I use it if blood work comes back with low calcium levels or when my cockatoo starts laying eggs. Just have to be careful with calcium supplements because high levels of calcium can possibly lead to gout which is not a good thing either.
The lucky thing is, Cyd was the Vet's bird that was willed to her, so thankfully she is invested in Cyd's care. I will find out more about what treatment she is getting when I go back home.

She is in good hands. Her system is low on a few things and I am sure they will doing the right things

I am guessing she is in there to keep her body heat up. This helps the body recover and also keep her quiet. Plus the incubator will have hydration to keep the air moist, which will also help.

Were you increasing her calcium intake and raised protein intake, while she was laying.
The other question or point I would like to make.
Were you feeding pellets under the assumption as per their advertising "A complete nutritional Diet"?
I was giving her, the normal diet, nothing out of the ordinary :( Harrison's High Potency and fresh foods. It happened over a 10 day period, so I didn't really start getting too freaked until last Monday, then took her in on Tuesday.

Lots of egg laying will deplete any calcium reserves of course. This almost sounds like something was blocking the absorption of the calcium.

The helper foods/ingredients that go with calcium like phosphorus and vitamin D need to be in the right ratios along with the calcium in order for them to actually make use of it.

Amanda is also a pretty big time egg layer. She does not eat pellets. I've had good success keeping her healthy (to lay eggs) by supplementing her soft foods with "Prime". This is a "complete" supplement that provides all the right things in all the right proportions.

Here is some documentation. 82105 - Prime Supplement - 70 g (3 oz)

Mention and discuss this with your vet. I really think she would benefit from this.
I will quote all the recommendations when I talk to her, the vet is always impressed when I ask about different treatments. She is always "Ohh?!?!? You have been doing your research?! Isn't the internet fabulous?" lol She is older :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't imagine how scary this is for you. :( I hope Cyd can come home soon!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I went to see her today, she is much better!
Still sitting on her last egg that is left.
She will be getting a superimploin implant or whatever they are called today, which she will get every 4 months.
Her Vet said that she couldn't handle another set of eggs.
Due to her age for one, and never having really been an egg layer before.
She said normally when a bird is laying eggs, their calcium level is higher, as it should be. Cyds, was super low, when laying.
She will stay there until the weekend, still in an incubator, she needs her to stay through her next ovulation.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hang on there Cyd!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad Cyd is doing better. I know this is from a cockatiel site, but I'm always really impressed with the extent of srtiel's knowledge when it comes to egg-laying, etc. and I would think it could apply to all birds. I thought this article on calcium might have some ideas for you to try. :) The Importance of Calcium - Just Cockatiels!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so happy Cyd is doing better :smileflower:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hi Cyd!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear she'll be home with her mama soon, all wrapped up in her towel and being carried around like a princess! :D We will miss her at bingo, though!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just because she is receiving a healthy diet doesn't mean that she is absorbing all the nutrients from it. She could very well be deficient in something that is resulting in a lack of calcium absorption, or maybe she's eating something that is blocking her ability to consume calcium?

Is there any way you can figure out what is triggering her to lay eggs, thus stopping her from laying eggs in the first place? Maybe even try changing her diet?