• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are all budgies nuts?

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Compared to my tiels, my budgie seems to be fearless and a complete daredevil. I often find him hanging by one foot from the top of the cage or random toy searching for a non-existent place to set his other foot only to seem relieved when I provided his way out of the predicament by offering a hand. He's constantly upside down and when he doesn't want to be picked up(by the kids), he yells at them. It's hilarious. He's so big for such a little dude. I love it. Are all budgies like this or am I the lucky one?

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
Nope; it's not just you. Budgies are very spirited. They're big birds in teeny packages. But, it's all part of their charm.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Budgies are naturally rather mental. They are also very smart and really great at training humans to do their bidding. Like... conning you into "rescuing" them when they are perfectly capable of just flying out of their dangerous situation. They have you trained to rescue them when they really don't need rescuing! :rofl: YOU never guessed they were using you???

Me, I have three budgies. I love how they zipp around the room, yelling at one another and pushing the cockatiels around.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
They are all like that!!! I have 4 friendly comical fiesty budgies!!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine will pester the other birds until they finally leave the room, then scream because he doesn't like to be alone (and my GCC tolerates a lot of pestering). He just thinks everyone is his friend and doesn't understand why they don't all want to play with him.
He is so cute and hyper and super confident in a familiar place. But move a piece of furniture and he will practically have a panic attack.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Dylan wants To be with Baylee But She sometimes ignores HIM and other times wants to cuddle him and than There áre times SHE tells him back off especially IF she is on her cage and he IS running around.

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
I have a bonded pair of small english budgies and they missed the memo on the fact that they aint macaws. They have to have music on by the cage whenever they are awake or you get very angry tweeting at you.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
My boys are pretty mild, but can be pretty nuts if they want to be :D

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Budgies are naturally rather mental. They are also very smart and really great at training humans to do their bidding. Like... conning you into "rescuing" them when they are perfectly capable of just flying out of their dangerous situation. They have you trained to rescue them when they really don't need rescuing! :rofl: YOU never guessed they were using you???

Me, I have three budgies. I love how they zipp around the room, yelling at one another and pushing the cockatiels around.
I was thinking about this post today when Foley hung from one foot again. He swung his free foot around and stared at me, waiting. I stared at him and thought about the fact that he could fly if he wanted to, but then I got up and got him anyway because he's just so darned cute when he does it! I got a good giggle out of how trained I am.

I also noticed that my tiels are much more dainty than Foley. They'll stand on the sides of a dish and eat while Foley feels the need to be standing in his food in order to eat it.

I can't believe the majority of these birds end up spending their lives in a tiny cage. He's got enough personality for ten cages! Another week and he'll be able to meet the tiels. Hopefully all will go well in the introduction. I can't wait!:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've never met a budgie that wasn't COMPLETELY fearless! :omg:

They are small birdies with huge hearts....:heart:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've also noticed that he talks to himself all the time, even when he's got his head tucked in and eyes closed -and he spazzes out a few times a day with a burst of energy that includes a lot of fierce head nodding and loud yelling, followed by an attack on a toy. :D

It's so neat experiencing the behaviors of a new(to me) species of bird. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
YES, Yes, 1000 x's yes! Ziggy tried to hang from the cartilage folds of my ear this weekend! Wish I had a picture, but I sure didn't anticipate him trying that.
Ouch- that had to smart...

1BlueBaby

Strolling the yard
Actually, it startled me more than hurt. He is very soft with his beak and mostly used his feet. That being said, I still wouldn't want him to make a habit of hanging from my ear! Silly boy, he says the playstand is too crowded lately and he needs a new place to play!

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Budgies are such wonderful spirited, energetic, playful, sweet little birdies. I absolutely love them (I have six of them and I adore them).

My home is never boring thanks to my budgies. They are extremely fun to watch. I also love their chatter. It goes on and on, and on, and I love it. They bring so much colour and life to my place and to my life!

Last edited:

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
EDIT: Thought I'd add a warning that there is a predator-prey scene in the video that might be upsetting to some.

Yes. Without question.

Budgies live the thug life and they relish it. I once watched a documentary about wild budgies that might explain it. Their habitat in the wild is harsh and unforgiving, and only the rough and tumble survive long enough to pass on their genes. The feistiest, sturdiest males get the females, etc. Basically, if a good rainy season hits the outback, they have to find mates, raise their young, etc, in that short window of time. Sometimes multiple generations can be born in one rainy season! Check it out (right at the 20 min mark):

Last edited: