• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for information on Quakers

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
So in about 2-3 years from now I would like to get my first non tiel parrot. The quaker is in the top three contenders. The reason it is going to take so long is because I haven't done any research on them yet and am looking for some good sources of information on them. Any reccommendations? And yes they are legal in my state.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I realize there is that sticky however I am interested in MORE information. The more sources you have the better it is when you make your decision.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well I had no way of knowing what you already read. Many people aren't aware of the stickies.

When I researched my quaker I just went to Google and read everything that came up.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I wish I could get a quaker! They are illegal in my state, but 30 minutes away in Nevada I know someone who has a 20 year old female. She is so sweet! :heart: I was also told they are very inquisitive, talkative, playful, and gentle. I also heard that they might really bond to just one person. I'm sure some Quaker owners might tell you more, or correct me if I'm mistaken with anything. Several years from now I would also like to get another bird. Maybe another cockatiel, or maybe something else.... :rolleyes:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I'm sorry I'm not trying to come across rude I'm just in a lot of pain from my car accident yesterda (second time I was rear ended in 6 weeks) which is making me irritable.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I wish I could get a quaker! They are illegal in my state, but 30 minutes away in Nevada I know someone who has a 20 year old female. She is so sweet! :heart: I was also told they are very inquisitive, talkative, playful, and gentle. I also heard that they might really bond to just one person. I'm sure some Quaker owners might tell you more, or correct me if I'm mistaken with anything. Several years from now I would also like to get another bird. Maybe another cockatiel, or maybe something else.... :rolleyes:
So far I am planning on getting another tiel from the same people I got Riley from next year. As is my grandmother. But I would like experienceowning a non tiel

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, me too. Right now I'm on the dreaming stage. :xflove:

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
I know my dream bird is a dusky pionus but that is not in my foreseeable future.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 6 Quakers. They each have their own personalities, Most of them are cuddlebugs, except 1, they can be loud at times at certain times of the day. Some of mine, talk and sing, They are quite loving, and comical. 2 of them live together, but they still interact with me, A good book to buy is A guide to the Quaker parrot, ( I forget the author) I have this book, but all my bird books, are in the birdroom, & the fids are asleep.A site that is good, is Quakerville, plenty of good info there to as well.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Thank you for the information I will pick up the book and definately check out the site.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
A guide to the Quaker parrot, ( I forget the author)
I think you're thinking of Guide to the Quaker Parrot, by Mattie Sue Athan. A good book with lots of information on Quakers. Some other books are Gayle Soucek's The Guide to Owning a Quaker Parrot and Pamela Higdon's The Quaker Parrot: a Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet.

Doing an online search for Quaker parrots will turn up lots of sources of information, much of it helpful. :)

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
My baby is very sweet and affectionate although he´s not cuddly. But he loves kisses and wants to be included in everything im doing. He´s perfect.

Chihuahua

Honestly I'd just do it when you're ready... I decided I wanted a parrot and spend the whole day researching one day and the next day I got him and I'm doing a great job so I'm sure you could too :) if you had no experience i would say not to do that of course but you've had tiels for a while now!