• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe beds/resting areas in cage?

Ama

Meeting neighbors
I have a young GCC(she's almost 3 months old now) she really likes to snuggle and like sleeping snuggled up. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for 'safe' beds/resting areas where she'd be able to snuggle
Up as she rests.

Before I got her(a month ago) I had bought her one of those happy hut things, but then I found out they can be dangerous to birds(once they tear up the bottom and there are loose strings) and have caused some birds to die so I returned it.

I did find one thing where it's a covered perch(has a perch on the bottom and a sort of tent over it) which seems nice but I think it'd be too small for my bird.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations is appreciate it(thank you in advance!)

(Also I apologize if this is in the wrong section!)

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
For a cheap DIY, take the bolt/ring holder from a food/water dish (like this) and tie strips of fleece around most of it, leaving a gap in the middle. Hang that over a perch like a tent :) Something to snuggle up to, yet less "nesty" feeling. Cheeko liked his.

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Triton loves his snuggle buddies! He has one in every cage! If you at going the diy route, remember to be very careful about your fleece. Many are sprayed with dangerous chemicals and fragrances, so make sure to look out.

Reactions: Ama

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You can use those huts if you check them daily to make sure your bird is not chewing it. My Boca loves his little triangular hut and he has not tried to chew it.

Two of my birds like to sleep hidden inside their poly dolly.

Reactions: Ama

Ama

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the replies! I'll try what you suggested jaguar, where would be the best place to get the fleece(I'm thinking a fabric store, so that way I can ask them about it and make sure it's safe- thanks for that warning dancing feathers! I wouldn't have even thought about that if you hadn't mentioned it!)

I was thinking of just getting on of the huts and seeing how she does with it and maybe removing it when I'm not home to supervise.

Chihuahua

You can use those huts if you check them daily to make sure your bird is not chewing it. My Boca loves his little triangular hut and he has not tried to chew it.

Two of my birds like to sleep hidden inside their poly dolly.
See I was told repeatedly and very aggressively on another group that if I use those my bird WILL have cage aggression issues?

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Harry and George have home made sleeping huts in each of their sleep cages, and they aren't cage aggressive at all in their sleep cages.

However, they are cage aggressive in the play and eat (fresh food) cage that they share together for part of the day until I'm able to let them fly freely.

Each bird reacts differently, although you can generally assume certain behaviors. Just don't be surprised if your bird is different. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Boca GCC is not cage aggressive at all. I can do anything in his cage and he has no problem with me. He is aggressive about hands and about getting attention.

The cage I have to be careful about is the lovebirds. They have a nest box attached to the cage and are cage aggressive close to the box. If I don't allow them to have a nest box, they fight for and then defend any box or nest site they can find or create in the room. It's just more diplomatic to allow them the box. Easier for me as well. I just have to check the box for fertile eggs, not the entire room.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I make my guys a happy hut alternative using these Chube | Happy Pet and plastic links to hang it with a bit like these New 8 Piece Textured Learning Links Baby Teether Rattle Cot Pram Toys Attachment | eBay

I bore a small hole at each end and push through a link, then add another link to each link and hang it on the back of the cage. Pie chews hers and when it gets ratty, the chubes are cheap to replace. Titus doesn't chew his but I replace it if it gets dirty. No fabric and no string to worry about. I use plastic links that are size appropriate.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Triton loves his snuggle buddies! He has one in every cage! If you at going the diy route, remember to be very careful about your fleece. Many are sprayed with dangerous chemicals and fragrances, so make sure to look out.
So is almost everything that goes in our cages. Balsa, abaca, wood, etc. is all sprayed and fumigated when it is shipped. I have never seen SCENTED fleece, but it's possible it would be sprayed to make it waterproof or flame resistant. I highly doubt that that mass manufactured "snuggle huts" use any fancy parrot safe material. Up to you whether you want to use it, but with a good wash, supervision, and a daily checkover to make sure there's no chew damage, I don't think it's dangerous.

Last edited:

Chihuahua

Airing it out can help too. My cat tree was lightly chemically when I got it but a week or so later it's scentless.

pudding

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
becca
My nanday used to love her happy hut, I just made sure to always check it and I never had any issues but as people have mentioned they can be unsafe... you just have to be careful - but some people prefer not to use them at all.

As for other alternative resting places, my nanday used to loooove the platform perches from things4wings - Whimsical Pine Natural Platforms ©

I had a couple set up and then one set up in the corner with a snuggle buddy attached, she loved it. :)

Stitchy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chris
My GCC has a little corner perch in his cage, with a preening toy hanging over it. He loves to sleep up on the perch, under the toy. He will peek his head out and make little noises when he wants us to cover the cage. :D

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If your bird likes tunnels, you can cut a bit of seagrass mat down to size and tie the ends to form a tunnel. I have a tunnel one and a swinging platform made of seagrass as well. The swing is by far and away Sherbie's favorite spot to nap/sleep on. As a bonus, most of his poos fall through the square holes so the mat doesn't get dirty for a long long time. These are very safe and fun for chewing.

TPN-SEAMATSM-3 Seagrass Mat Small 3 Pack - SEAGRASS MATS