• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making my own toys

PLS

Checking out the neighborhood
I was thinking of making my own toys and was thinking of using hooves (pre-sterilized hooves like I use for my dog) on it, but I don't see any other hoof toys even though I see lots of rawhide. Is there any reason hooves bones or antlers would be a problem on a parrot toy?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I heard rawhide is very bad for birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
People do make antler perches and I have a couple, but my birds have zero interest in them.

I'm not sure what the draw of giving them hooves are? They likely would be too hard for them to be very interested.

Rawhide isn't really good for birds, either, and there is debate if its even good for dogs.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
I'm fairly certain that rawhide is said to expand in a dog's stomach, so it's probably very dangerous for birds too.

PLS

Checking out the neighborhood
Wow! I'll avoid rawhide and rawhide toy parts for sure then! I still don't see any reason not to with the hooves unless they just don't like them, but I'm going to check with my avian vet as well just to make sure there's not something I don't know. Feather babies are far to precious to take chances with :hug8:

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
I went to the store and bought some cord, acrylic beads and wood shapes and with that stuff and some soda bottle lids i made FIVE new toys! :) So you could just use wood.. it's a lot cheaper.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Hoof wouldn't be much of a toy to birds IMO... In nature they would be part and parcel of an animal they would likely stay far away from...
Also it's not like they can chew on it... I would just use something else