• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

zupreem fruit blend pellets

joojoobeans

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
joojoobeans
I bought a bag of this and switched him to it. He was eating seeds before for a few months.. he likes it.

Is it good for them?

joojoobeans

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
joojoobeans
should I mix it with volkman super parrotlet seed? or can I just feed him the pellets and some vegetables once in a while?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All my birds eat these, I sprinkle them on top of they're seed, as well as separate bowls,,,,certain brats eat certain colours....:lol:

Sarah and Lenny

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I use them too, they're healthy for birds! We give our conure pellets, fruit and veggies everyday but we only give him seed on the rare occasion and if we did we mix it through us pellets :pinklol3:

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
@joojoobeans As you know, parrotlets are little bundles of energy and so benefit from a component of seed in their diet, maybe 25%. The Volkman's parrotlet mix is a good option for this. The next component of his diet should be the pellets, again roughly 25% or so. The Zupreem fruit blend is good, especially considering he wasn't eating any kind of pellets before, but maybe in the future consider switching him to a pellet without any artificially coloring or added sugar. Brands like Roudybush, Goldenfeast, TOPs, Caitec, or Harrison's are all good (the last four have the best ingredient lists IMO). Even the Zupreem Natural pellets would be preferred over the fruit blend (though some birds do like the taste of the fruity ones more).

Finally, you should be feeding fresh foods every day, and they should make up the bulk of your boy's diet (50%). Fresh veggies and some fruit is a must each day. I also never feed my seed dry, only soaked and germinated, to increase its nutritional value and provide another, highly preferred, fresh food.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
When I switched Milo to pellets I went to the fruit zupreem, then I was able to get him to sample some other brands. You'll find that many here don't like the zupreem fruit because of the dyes in it... and I can understand that. Any pellet in your little one's diet is better than no pellet though. Pellets should be fed consistently and as a major part of a varied diet. Be sure to offer lots of good fresh stuff, be sure to experiment with different sizes and combinations. If he doesn't like something once, try offering it a different way (for instance offering halved grapes on a skewer instead of a bowl or shaved carrots instead of diced) and he may be more accepting.

the volkman's plet mix really is a great one for the little guys.