• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help deciding :(

Bguns

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Ok so for awhile now, I have been thinking about getting a new addition to my flock. I currently have 2 parrots, 1 cockatiel, and one GCC. I have been looking at IRN's, but I am now holding back from getting one due to learning about their "bluffing" stage. Other parrots I would look into would be another GCC, a canary-winged keet, or any small/smallmedium parrot. I need help :( I don't know what to do

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
I don't hold with a "bluffing stage". Neither of mine have had one, so they obviously don't subscribe to it either!

I've written to a few of the most respected bird trainers that i know of and none of them have given any support whatsoever to the idea of a "bluffing stage". Barbara Heidenreich has written a blog about it too Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?
Another was surprised to hear of the idea as she has raised Alexandrines (a closely related species) and had not seen any symptoms of "bluffing" in her birds. A prominent proponent of Applied Behaviour Analysis, who also keeps an alex, regards the "bluffing" theory as the result of old fashioned, dominance based handling techniques. Another behaviourist puts it down to the old fashioned techniques combined with the new parrot owners inexperience in reading and responding appropriately to the body language of their new pet.... All of them strongly disagreed with the advice in the "article" about "bluffing" that I had sent them (you can find it on an interenet search) and did not subscribe to the idea of a"bluffing stage".

Indian ringnecks are quite sensitive birds, they don't seem to be as tolerant of things they feel uncomfortable with as some species may be. When they are uncomfortable with styles of handling, they may show aggression, especially if they are not given a choice on whether they would like to participate or not. If we step back and ask them whether or not they would like to engage, in my experience, they are usually up for anything as long as they haven't been coerced into it.

Btw if you look on YouTube for "bluffing indian ringneck" and assess what the person in a video is doing, and what the bird is displaying in regards to comfort-level and body language in the interaction, it kind of justifies the bird to bite them.

The other thing that I believe contributes to the "bluffing" is the comparative reaction time between an indian ringneck and us. I watch them interact with each other and they can have a whole disbute over a toy or something in the time it take us to lift a hand. They will have gone through the "warning signs" (pinning eyes, lifted feathers, maybe even an opened beak) in a second and someone will have backed down in that time. They are also subtle, which makes it a bit hard to read them sometimes.
My boyfriend and I are both are convinced that our birds have learned to draw out the warning signals to suit our slow reflexes...They give us much longer warnings than we observe between them and their birdy friends. We both believe that our birds don't actually like to bite, it is their last resort.

We put forward the theory that it can take some time for a young ringneck to learn that humans take longer to respond to ringneck body language than the ringneck expects. In some cases, where the human does not respond to any ringneck signals, it turns into a prolonged period of biting because the ringneck is trying to state his/her case and the human is very stubborn. Possibly the human is the one "bluffing"...

Beyond that, I'll just say that indian ringnecks can be loud, most don't like pats and cuddles yet still require tons of attention and stimulation. They are bright and quick and beautiful.

Maybe your gcc would like a same-species friend?

pudding

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
becca
I think it depends on what you want out of your new birdy. I find that all birds are different, but usually certain species have common traits. I find conures to be playful and friendly, cockatoos to be crazy and cuddly, ekkies and greys to be a bit more reserved etc. I think IRN are really sweet, but as InTheAir mentioned, they don't usually tend to crave pets and cuddles. If you want something more hands on, maybe another conure or cockatiel would suit?

I'm also rather found of lovebirds and parrotlets, they are really cute little guys and usually love attention.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I agree with @InTheAir about bluffing. I thought that Titan was a "bluffer" for the longest time. After really analyzing the situation, I realized it wasn't "bluffing" at all.
I know every bird is an individual- but the more and more I hear about IRN "bluffing"- the more I feel it's a fallacy.

IMO, if you're looking for a bird that doesn't require a lot of "hands-on" attention, but requires and craves non-physical human interaction- an IRN is just the bird you're looking for...

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
As a ringneck owner, I can say that I have never seen "bluffing" in my Joey. Joey is two years old now and an excellent companion. Although ringnecks may not be the most cuddly, they can have their moments. Every bird is different. Joey, likes to snuggle and give kisses, but only when she wants to.

I agree with @InTheAir and @cassiesdad - I wouldn't worry too much about "bluffing". Ringnecks are amazing parrots.

Side note: My goodness. I thought I'd take a peak at some of these "bluffing" videos on youtube. I seem to only find fault in the humans... especially when they are wiggling their fingers around the bird, startling it, and obviously annoying it until it bites... ugh.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Side note: My goodness. I thought I'd take a peak at some of these "bluffing" videos on youtube. I seem to only find fault in the humans... especially when they are wiggling their fingers around the bird, startling it, and obviously annoying it until it bites... ugh.
I'm glad I don't look at those videos...they'd just get me :atomic: