• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone got any birdie bread recipes?

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
On another thread, people were talking about how they just throw measuring to heck and do whatever, but I was hoping someone here might have a recipe with exact measurements. I'm going to be feeding a conure with this and since he will almost always try something if he sees me eat it, I'm hoping it will make a nice snack for me, too (I'm weird, I know. Stop laughing at me. :cautious:).

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is the one I make. My flock loves it! It is all Organic.

Judy's Birdie Bread
**Preheat oven to 350 degrees

**glass dish 13x9 or large jelly roll sheet pan

Ingredients:

Dry:

1 Cup Organic wheat flour

1 Cup Organic coconut flour

1 Cup Organic corn meal

1 Tablespoon Ground Organic Flax seed

2 teaspoons (level) of Aluminum Free Baking Powder

2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon

Mix well

Fresh:

1/2 Chopped apple

1/2 cup organic blueberries

1 steamed sweet potato mashed

1 cup bag frozen corn, peas or other mix veggies

Wet:

1 Large Egg

1 Can organic Coconut water

1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil

Add to dry ingredients. You may need to add water so that batter is spreadable.

Spread evenly into dish or pan and bake for 30-45 mins.

Allow to cool then cut into 2 inch squares. I keep in one quart freezer bags and just remove a bag and keep in fridge to needed.

My birds like it served warmed from the microwave for about 15 seconds.

You can add any fruits and veggies you want.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My local farmers market was selling Pecan oil. Wonder if that would be a good substitute for coconut oil?

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Here's my go-to recipe:

1 can drained pumpkin purée
1 cup almond or coconut milk (I use the sweetened kind to add at least a little sweetness to the bread)
2 tablespoons coconut or red palm oil
2 whole eggs (keep shells for later)
1 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground pellets of your choosing (I grind Roudybush in a coffee grinder)
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped veggies or drained fruit like berries

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and place cast iron skillet or glass 2 quart baking dish inside.

2. Whisk together pumpkin purée, almond milk, oil, and eggs.

3. In large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, ground pellets, baking powder, and baking soda.

4. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix together. Slowly add chopped veggies if desired. Do not overwork.

5. Remove hot pan from oven and coat with coconut or palm oil. Scrape batter into pan and put back in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester comes out clean.

6. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bite-size squares and freezing. Will keep fresh frozen for up to 2 months.

I've never had a bird turn down this bread. It's especially tasty if you add raspberries or blueberries, but note that they turn the bread a weird purple color. You can also make this recipe in a stainless steel mini muffin pan.

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! I forgot the step of grinding the eggshells and adding them to the dry mix. That's optional but will add a nice bit of calcium to the bread.
I think someone advised against this, as some pieces might be big enough to harm the bird.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Better to buy powered oyster shell and add to the bread mix, rather than add crushed egg shell. Yes, even the small pieces can cut the inside of the gut, but you also don't know what is on the shell, things like bleach water, bacteria, etc.

I am lazy. I use Harrison's birdy bread mix and add pureed baby food, usually carrots and sweet potatoes. :laugh:

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Better to buy powered oyster shell and add to the bread mix, rather than add crushed egg shell. Yes, even the small pieces can cut the inside of the gut, but you also don't know what is on the shell, things like bleach water, bacteria, etc.

I am lazy. I use Harrison's birdy bread mix and add pureed baby food, usually carrots and sweet potatoes. :laugh:

I know that eggshell can be dangerous to birds. But what if I put the shell through a coffee grinder? That stuff usually grinds it up into a good powder. Would it be okay then?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you want to use egg shell, then do it. I prefer powdered oyster shell because I feel it is more nutritionally available, not crystallized into an egg shell matrix. I could be all wrong, but it was suggested by my bird vet.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I've got @Greycloud 's recipe in the oven but I'm worried it's not moist enough and I think I added too many veges to the vegetable one....but I hope it still tastes good! 20150702_180649.jpg

Chihuahua

I know that eggshell can be dangerous to birds. But what if I put the shell through a coffee grinder? That stuff usually grinds it up into a good powder. Would it be okay then?
this is what I do... I do this with the veggies too, to make a nice mush :) it surely got him eating his veggies... he cleans his bowl every morning now, and that includes bread AND fresh chop. Here's what my bread was, though I didn't use exact measurements...

Veggie chop (radish, spinach, green beans, snow peas (hulled), red bell peppers, carrots, yellow squash, acorn squash, broccoli, celery)
Apple juice
Egg
Eggshell
White flour (it's what I had... will be using coconut or organic next time)

I made a small amount of veggies and AJ and the egg, added flour to cover it, mixed, added more wet until it was at a good bread dough type consistency, then added the egg shell and mixed that in. Baked until it smelled good.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can full around with the recipe. Sometimes it comes out very heavy and moist, other times the additives can make it dryer. My birds love it either way. If egg shells are ground to a powder form they are safe. I do not use eggshells. I add some calcium to mine.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've got @Greycloud 's recipe in the oven but I'm worried it's not moist enough and I think I added too many veges to the vegetable one....but I hope it still tastes good! View attachment 204635
Sometimes when going veg/fruit overload on my breads and its still too moist after the suggested baking time I just cover with foil and reduce oven temp or turn off and let it firm up without burning.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I made Judy's recipe yesterday. Fed it to them for breakfast this morning. Tails up for the win!

I did have to modify the recipe a bit to wet all the flour. Just added an extra egg and a second can of coconut water. Maybe it was because I only had 8oz cans and recipe called for 16oz? Not really sure, but it worked and the Twin Terrors love it! Roma is making his happy sounds and that makes me happy.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Here is the one I make. My flock loves it! It is all Organic.

Judy's Birdie Bread
Okay @Greycloud , I've gotta try this one! I'll be shopping tomorrow. :) Do you think I could use organic canned pumpkin instead of the sweet potato?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay @Greycloud , I've gotta try this one! I'll be shopping tomorrow. :) Do you think I could use organic canned pumpkin instead of the sweet potato?[/QUOTE
I usually don't used veggies and fruits in cans. Maybe someone else can give their opinion on that. ;)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is what I used in the birdie bread that I just baked:

'flour'
pulverized Harrison's pellets
flaxseed meal
almond meal
organic rice bran flour
quinoa
chia seeds
hemp seeds
oyster shell
unsweetened shredded coconut

moist ingredients
3 stalks of kale, stems removed
yam
banana
red palm oil (nature friendly)
dried cherries
bell pepper
broccoli
carrots

I usually sprinkle a few nuts over the top to help entice my pickiest eaters.

Half of my fids willing eat pellets. The other half get their daily pellets in their birdie bread. Don't get caught up on actual measurements, as it's really not necessary. The bread is moist, but dense, which is perfect for the birds to be able to pick up and easily eat!