• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too many antibiotics

Siggy

Moving in
Im really frustrated. my young English Budgie is sick for the 4th time he's been on 3 lots of antibiotics .He keeps getting diarrhea . he's very sensitive to every bug. first it was the off goat milk, then moldy seed from a bulk bin , now I don't know.
He cries before a bowel movement . I am keeping him warm but don't i need to bath him to get the goop off his behind?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Goat milk? Dairy isn't good for birds. What does his diet consist of?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Has he been seen by a vet? If the vet is prescribing antibiotics maybe something simple as keeping him on a probiotic for a while would help.

What is his diet?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have to add, when the vet prescribes an antibiotic does he do a culture and sensitivity test or does he just hand you anything in the hopes that it works? I will pay the extra it costs to do those tests but I want to be darn sure it will kill off what needs to be killed.

Those tests need to be done BEFORE an antibiotic is given because if you run it after it has been started it will give you a basically false reading because the antibiotic is still in the body and will interfere with the test then you have to wait a few weeks for the drug to exit the body completely.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, you need to wash his bum off. Birds hate being dirty - just be gentle.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry, I hope your little one gets better,:hug8:

Siggy

Moving in
i had to take him to emergency the first time because my avian vet was too busy-he accidentally jumped into my cereal bowl!
They gave him a shot of fluids and antibiotics.and probiotics and Sun factor . Good for couple of months then more diarrhea and lethargy said he had gram neg rod s in stool . panicked back to Emerge more antibiotics . Then a third bout a few weeks later. Took him to my vet for checkup. no bacteria, no yeast no parasites but weight down 10 grams. .Put him back on HP Harrisons Pellets.
Now a forth bout i am determined to do this naturally

Siggy

Moving in
he has veg and fruit and soaked seeds . pellets and dry seed probiotics, sun factor and a pinch of kelp powder

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His diet sounds fine, but he is struggling with something causing his immune system to not work well.

I certainly wouldn't try to cure him without the help of a vet who is really interested in getting Raz well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, got the name mixed up with another poster.c

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
try boiled purfied water. i had budgie that could not tolerate tap water.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
What testing has the vet done? It sounds like the time to do a culture and potentially some probiotics. I understand your frustration with his recurring illness, but please talk with your vet and see what the two of you can work out together. Your vet really does care about helping your little one get well

Siggy

Moving in
He's doing so much better i nursed him through it. yes i switched to boiled filtered water threw out all the seed. i only soak seed in vinegar and water over night
Ive been feeding him more seed to bring his weight up with vitamin powder and red pal;,m oil and kelp or green powered mixed in.I gather fresh seed grasses from out back and he loves them. He has megamix in his water and i plan to order other things from that website.