• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Expiriences

SilverSkyBlue

Moving in
Real Name
Rosalie
So, as some of you know, I am going to get a bird. I am particularly drawn to budgies and cockatiels. So can you guys tell me your 'tiel experiences? I will get a rehome or breeder bird, but not a pet store bird. Should I get one or two tiels? Thnx in advance for the replies!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would start with one, unless you see a bonded pair in need of a home - if you don't think it's too much to take on. It's my opinion birds need flockmates. Tiels are wonderful birds. I have two males. Generally speaking, they are not demanding.

I have a flight cage for each of my boys. A cage should be at least that big. Natural wood perches are best. If they have only dowel perches, that could lead to foot problems. I feed Harrisons. They get one nutriberry a day and a teaspoon or so of millet. They should not have a strictly seed diet. You can try some fruits and vegetables, but no chocolate, tomato or avacodoes. There is information on this site about dietary needs and experienced tiel people, too. Of course, they should not have junk food or allowed to drink coffee, tea, pop, Koolaid.....those sort of things.

There's a ton of environmental things that are dangerous. Non stick pans can give off fumes we can't smell but will kill birds. No air fresheners or cleaners like Lysol, Pinesol, etc. Blue Dawn is an excellent cleaner. You can always buy Poop-off and/or F-10 if you want a safe retail product for cleaning.

Tiels are dusty. If you have respiratory problems, tiels might not be the bird for you. There's so much I have learned from other tiel people and from this site. Someone else will jump in with more advice and info.
Thank you for not purchasing a bird. My boys are adopted.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Tiels are wonderful birds,many years ago some of My best talkers were tiels.Personally I believe that the males are talkers and females are snugglers.:hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are wonderful birds. :) My tiel is rehomed. He came to live with us when he was 15. So, he's an older bird but you'd never guess by watching him. Typically, males are the whistlers/talkers and females are known to be snuggling. My Sunny didn't get the memo. He doesn't talk and is a complete snuggle bug/momma's boy. He does imitate noises pretty well. Tiels are known to be pretty laid back and usually not nippy. Sunny does well as a solo bird- but that's what he's used to. He's out of his cage all day and really isn't destructive. If I leave something paper out , he might chew it if left unsupervised ( my fiance has lost some covers of books this way) but really leaves everything else pretty much alone. Oh, except electrical wires. All tiels seem to have an obsession over those. Have you read the Good, Bad and the Ugly section under cockatiels? That give a nice over view. And there are a lot of tiels out there in need of homes.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have 4 tiels now...I have had 3 others during the time I have had birds. All have their own personalities...my males in general, have been the most curious, most comical, mischievous, talkative. My females have been the most cuddly - the snugglers and demanding (of your attention!)

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I second CeciliaZ's comments on females. Buddy is really only happy when she is on one of us, or right in front of us. If she had her way, she'd be riding around on her humans all day. This isn't to say that are around her all the time. We both work, and she's solo for a solid 12 hours each day. On her own, she eats, naps, and cruises the bedroom (also her room). The only thing that she isn't over interested in is toys, but I understand that that is not uncommon in 'tiels.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I love my tiel, though she's very dusty around molting season (not good for my allergies but worth it). She's a bit timid around strangers but if she's out and thinks I'm leaving the room she'll scream for me to come back. She was a re-home, and I'm fortunate I have her. One of the sweetest birds I've met. Better behaved than my IRN, that's for sure. I got her at the age of around 4 years if the owner is to be believed (though the owner had her sex wrong) and has been with me for around 5 years (I think) now. Time gets blurry after a while...

I really do love cockatiels, the only real cons I see is their dust. My female doesn't talk but she does demand head scratches when she thinks she can get away with it.