• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Expiriences

SilverSkyBlue

Moving in
Real Name
Rosalie
As some of you know, I am thinking of getting a bird. In particular, I am drawn towards budgies and cockatiels. I would like to know about all of your budgie experiences. I am really excited about getting a bird and will take care of it extremely well, and have done lots of research. Also, should I get one budgie or multiple budgies? I will be taking care of my cousins male and female budgies for three weeks, and my aunts knows of a budgie breeder that hand-raises their babies. So I won't get a pet store bird. Probably. I will try to tame it, if budgies are tame able.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
I have a flock of six budgies who all get very well along. Glacier and Yellowface are bonded, as well as Clove and Clarrise. The other two, BB and Fat Albert, aren't bonded with any bird, but they still spend time with the others.

Budgies are adorable, cute, delicate, hilarious little balls of spunk and millet! :) They are lovely pets and amazing family members!

I would suggest two budgies. If you get them from the breeder, and make certain to spend one-on-one time with each of them, they will stay bonded with you. A budgie is a flock animal, so a single budgie is a lonely budgie, and a lonely budgie is a sad budgie.

And yes indeed budgies are tame able! My sweety bird Glacier loves people and will step up 99% os the time. She loves to explore and does the funniest things like jump into my trash can or walk around on the floor. :heart:

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I have two budgies and they aren't tame but that's my fault. They are definitely tameable birds, you just have to work with them like any other bird.

If you get just one budgie, I would make sure you have tons of time to spend with it. If not, get two because as @Glacier313 mentioned they are flock animals and will be very lonely.

With two you might struggle to get a connection at first because they will have each other, but make sure that you spend one on one with them and it shouldn't be a problem. Even though mine aren't hand tame they will still step up, from where they learned it when I first brought them home.

They are crazy little birds with a ton of heart. They love millet and mine love anything with a bell on it. They are beautiful and adorable little birdies. They will steal your heart before you know it :)
My two are excellent fliers and I let them out about once or twice a week to fly around my room. Good exercise for them.

Overall I would say you can't go wrong with a budgie. Good luck! :)

spurs21550

Meeting neighbors
Budgies are awesome little birds, I had a flock of 4 at one time, and it's very interesting to see flock behavior, and how they all reacted differently in the flock, as well as individually they all had their place in the flock. One of the budgies was so tame, we left his cage open all the time, he flew around the house, then went back to his cage to chill out. They will give you a lot of love and joy, and have the most beautiful soft chirps when they sing themselves to sleep :)

MorganW

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 budgies. They are very cute and have unlimited energy. When they get excited the two of them can be louder than my conure :eek:. Sweet birds and fun to watch, but I don't really handle them. One will kiss my finger sometimes, but that's about it. They love lettuce and millet!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best advice from me is to get your budgies from a good breeder. Budgies seem to carry yeast which can be fatal. I lost a dear sweet male. I am not trying to scare you just educate you. It would be good for you to read on the subject of avian gastric yeast ahead of time. Also have an avian vet in mind. Best of luck. Budgies are wonderful. The males will talk and you can keep two males together.

henschelke

Strolling the yard
I have a male named Milo and I absolutely adore him! I got him from a pet store last October. I taught him to come when he was called and he was getting pretty tame, but then I was caring for a lost one until I found another home for it and he completely lost all interest in me and was only concerned with his friend. After I found the other budgie a home, I was back to square one with taming him. For this reason I would recommend getting only one budgie if you are sure that you can spend enough time with him/her. Otherwise they will bond to each other instead of you. Now I take him out every day and feed him his favorite foods in a room where we are alone an where his cage is not in sight. He now happily perches on my shoulder and sleeps on me! He loves to do laps around the house and now knows what "treat" means. It was frustrating at first because he wa so shy but now he is so much friendlier and all of my trainin has paid off! He's my first budgie and I love him and would recommend this type of bird to anyone! You get what you put into it in terms of taming tho. But all my work has def been worth it! Good luck